Age UK Medway are delighted to be bringing the Carers Relief Service into our organisation as part of our portfolio of services. The Carers Relief Service provides cover and short breaks for carers of adults with learning disabilities living at home, offering:
- A flexible service based on the carer's requirements.
- Personal Support Workers to work in the community with adults who have a learning disability to relieve the main carer from the pressure of caring.
- Encourage adults with a learning disability to make choices about the activities they engage in within their community.
Our Personal Support Workers can help specifically with:
- A sit-in service for clients with dementia to enable their carers to have time to themselves for going out to meet friends, go shopping, etc.
- Supporting adults with learning disabilities in client-led choice of activities in the community, such as bowling, cinema, football academies, gym, snooker, shopping, etc.
- Day centre clubs providing activities such as karaoke, arts and crafts, cooking, disco, drama, computer studies and bingo.
- Assistance with day-to-day living such as shopping, banking, personal care.
- Trips such as visits to the zoo, pantomimes, duxford air museum, HMS Victory in Portsmouth, etc.
- Staying in the home to provide time for carers to relax, enjoy an outside interest or attend a social event.
At Carers Relief Service, we meet each carer's specific needs with a person-centered approach to providing an individual care plan to the adult with a learning disability. We recognise the importance of familiar staff attending regularly.
Get in touch