Dealing with a life-limiting illness and supporting a loved one who is very ill can be among the greatest challenges we face. OxBEL Befrienders offer friendship without fear and with openness and honesty.
Our Oxfordshire Befriending for Life service (OxBEL) offers friendship to people aged 18 and over who are living with a life-limiting illness. We also provide support for carers and loved ones.
Volunteer Befrienders build a friendly, supportive relationship with you and those who care for you. A Befriender spends up to three hours a week talking, listening to or being with you, depending on your needs and wishes. Each volunteer offers:
- Someone who is keen to celebrate the joys of living
- Someone who is not afraid to talk about difficult issues if needed
- Befriending also aims to reduce any sense of isolation and to help people feel less alone in a time of need.
Each volunteer is fully trained and supported by a skilled, experienced, and professional team of coordinators.
How we can support you
OxBEL offers the following support services:
- Face to face and telephone befriending.
- Help to plan and go on outings or continue favourite activities.
- Minor practical support: e.g. escort to medical appointments, light shopping, collecting prescriptions.
- A break for carers from time to time.
- Information about local services and additional sources of help, support and advice.
- We also set up and facilitate support groups through our collaborative work with Carers Oxfordshire post bereavement friendship and support.
Do you know someone who could benefit?
If you think you, or someone you know, could benefit from the OxBEL service, or if you wish to know more about how the service works, please call us on 01235 849 427, email email@example.com or write to:
Oxfordshire Befriending for Life
If you are requesting a Befriender, please see our referral criteria to find out if you are eligible. One of our Coordinators will respond to your request within five working days to take full details of your referral, discuss your needs and circumstances, and to understand what you would like to achieve from the service. A Befriender will usually be allocated within 3 to 4 weeks.
Alternatively, you can download our referral form and send it to us by post or email.