Who is the service for?
Anyone aged 50+ who would benefit from visiting a local centre
Positive outcomes for service users include:
- Improved health and well-being
- Reduced isolation
- Increased motivation
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved social skills and communication
- Improved nutrition and hydration through monitoring
Carers can also recieve much-needed respite from their responsibilities.
What does the service offer?
The Activity Day Centre service offers door-to-door accompanied transport to a choice of three locations serving much of South Gloucestershire (Kingswood, Downend and Filton).
A typical day contains opportunities for a variety of activities such as singing workshops.Tai-Chi, quizzes, exercises, art & craft, Nintendo Wii games, knitting, memory boxes and entertainment as well as times of quietr conversation and one-to-one support. The Activity Day Centres provide tailored activities to meet the individual needs.
A two course lunch and refreshments are also provided.
We will be happy to discuss you attending a 'taster session' so you can experience the service and meet other service users and staff team. Half day packages can also be discussed (but are subject to availability).
Who are your volunteers?
A few volunteers also support our work. They come from a range of backgrounds and bring with them a variety of skills and interests. All our volunteers have been screened and are subject to a DBS check.
How much does the service cost?
Contact the Day Services Manager for more details or to book a taster session. Our Information and advice service can help you get an assessment of your needs and any benefits to which you may be entitled.
How do I access the day services?
- Direct approaches from families of those who do not meet the Council funding criteria (see 3, below), but who would like to attend on a private payment basis.
- Referral via a brokerage sevice who will support people who have a 'personal budget' to spend on support services.
- Referral via South Gloucestershire Council Community Care & Housing Dept. (Under Fair Access to Care standards you must meet the eligibility criteria for risk categorised as either 'critical' or 'substantial'. An assessment will establish any contribution that may be needed towards the cost.)
What our service users say
"These are my 'no worry' days. I get picked up and taken home, I do fun activities, meet my friends have a lovely lunch. No worries!"
What our volunteers say
Danny has recently retired and contacted Volunteer Kingswood to find out more about volunteering opportunities. Danny was put forward for the opportunity at Age UK South Glos at the Kingswood Activity Day Club. ‘I would recommend volunteering to anyone; it would suit anyone with a caring nature. It’s not like working full time and I enjoy every minute of it, you get as much back as you give.’ Danny’s role involves spending time with the people who attend our activity day club, having a chat and encouraging them to join in activities. Danny also shares his love of music by playing the guitar and he often leads singing sessions.