We have launched a new project working with older veterans (aged 65 or over) as part of a wider portfolio of work being undertaked by Age UK's around the country.
The project aims to support older veterans to maintain their independence and stay connected and included within their local community.
We will be working closely with specialist veterans' agencies such as the Royal British Legion, SSAFA and other organisations to provide support, raise awareness of the issues affecting older veterans and offer volunteering opportunities.
This service can offer support with:
- Information and advice regarding benefits, housing adaptations, equipment, aids to daily living, and other support
- Befriending and socialising
- Information on social and community activities in your area
- Getting into volunteering
- Linking with service friends through social media
- Support to attend commemorative and reunion events
We are looking for volunteers for the project to help with:
- Befriending, either by visiting or telephoning for a chat
- Support for veterans to join in social activities or attend commemorative or reunion events
- Running a coffee morning or social activity group
For more information on this service please call our local Helpline 08443 843 843 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This project is financed through the Aged Veterans Fund, funded by the Chancellor using LIBOR funds.
Age UK in partnership with the Ministry of Defence & SSAFA