Our vision is of a society transformed by the involvement of older people in meeting the challenges caused by social change.
We aim to listen, to respond and to support older people. We help older people to stay safe, feel less lonely, stay independent, keep themselves healthy and have regular contact with other people.
During 2018/19 we held conversations with older people around Rotherham asking about their lives and priorities. Read our People In The Lead Report HERE
Download a summary of our research about Older People and Loneliness in Rotherham HERE
Download Vision 2025 to read a report of our 2018 event exploring a strategy for meeting the challenge of an ageing society HERE
Listening to older voices about the impact of Covid-19
Age UK Rotherham is working with Rotherham Older People’s Forum to gather information and stories about how Covid-19 is affecting people in later life. There’s no particular age limit, just think about those in your family, group, or community who are finding their own ways to manage the situation and the restrictions that we are all living with. It would be great for families to provide support for older people who need it, to take part in this short survey and so have their voice heard.
The situation is now frequently changing and we are hoping this survey will give you a chance to tell us about what its been like for you and your feelings about the next 6 months?
If you would prefer to have a conversation with us over the phone then please contact us or leave a voicemail with your name and number on 07585 225 832 and we will call you back as soon as we can.
We would also be happy to be invited to chat with any online groups or networks in Rotherham.
About EngAge Rotherham
EngAge Rotherham is an exciting new approach responding to our ageing society. It aims to help people stay connected and engaged within their local communities and Rotherham in general so that they can make the most of later life and have a full role to play in the lives of their families, communities and in the life of our Borough
The priorities for EngAge Rotherham have been identified as areas of concern by older people in Rotherham. These are:
- Being safe
- Not being lonely and isolated
- Staying independent
- Being healthy
- Being connected
EngAge Rotherham will help older people to:
- Recognise their strengths
- Make the most of their later life
- Share their experiences and help each other to cope with the changes faced during ageing
- Be more active in their community, be better connected and improve their mental, physical and social health and wellbeing
- Feel more valued by others, reducing the impact of loneliness and isolation
Older people will become:
- Better connected - less isolated or lonely by taking part in EngAge Rotherham activities
- More active - have improved health and wellbeing and use their talents and experience in their community
- More resilient - be more able to cope withthe physical, social and emotional changes
- Valued and understood - local organisations will improve their awareness of the needs/views of older people
Current EngAge Rotherham projects are:
- EngAge Rotherham Affiliated Groups - supporting volunteer-led groups in communities, running activities for older people to improve social, mental and physical wellbeing.
- People In The Lead – an outreach project to connect with older people in new locations where older people are isolated in outlying areas beyond central Rotherham. We will bring people together for conversations about later life; to think about the issues they face in their lives and to promote positive contributions by older people.
- Community Connectors - an information and outreach service linked to community hubs and other locations.
Our team of connectors provide access to information about community based support and activities for older people.