As an office volunteer you could support the work of our staff in our Wandsworth office
Come and join our friendly team in our Office on Old York Road in Wandsworth.
Would you like to be part of a local, independent charity that supports older people in Wandsworth?
We are looking for reception volunteers to support our first contact staff at our office in Old York Road, Wandsworth. You will play a key role in creating a great first impression, greeting our visitors, answering the telephone and dealing with enquiries. You’ll be part of a friendly and caring team who work together to ensure that older people can ‘Age Well’ in Wandsworth.
Reception shifts are either 10.00- 13.00 or 12.30 to 15.00 and the minimum commitment is once a week (although more days would be beneficial) for 6 months, including school holidays. Our office is open Monday to Thursday only.
- Meeting and greeting visitors to the office
- Answering telephone calls, transferring them or taking messages for staff
- Dealing with enquiries either using available information, passing to a staff member or logging for a staff member to deal with when available
- General maintenance of the reception area to ensure a welcoming environment for visitors and adequate literature on display
- Carrying out admin duties as needed by first contact team
Skills & attributes
- Confident and Friendly
- Good communication skills
- Excellent time-keeping
- Note-taking skills
- Patient and sensitive to the concerns of older people
- Understanding of the need for objectivity, impartiality and confidentiality
Knowledge, training & qualifications
- IT-literate desirable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
Benefits for our volunteers
- Free safeguarding training
- A friendly and supportive team
- Giving back to your local community
- Valuable work experience for your CV
Working under the supervision of a member of staff, you would provide information and advice to older people and their carers by telephone and personal contact at the Age UK Wandsworth office on a range of issues including money and benefits, housing queries, health and disability, how to access care. You could also help with filling in forms, making claims for benefits or phoning previous clients for feedback on the service.
This is a responsible role for a very dedicated volunteer requiring a minimum time commitment of six months. Training and supervision will be given. You should be very organized, have a good phone manner and patience. Full role specification is available upon request.
Opportunities are available Monday to Thursday between 10am and 4pm, 3 – 6 hours per week, minimum 6 months commitment.
Digi-pals is a service which aims to offer friendly computer support to older people in Wandsworth. We aim to reduce digital exclusion by helping people with basic on-line tasks, such as setting up email, using the internet or using social media.
If you are computer literate and can spare a few hours a month we would love to hear from you. We run remote support sessions (fullt training given) and when restrictions allow also drop-in sessions at local libraries and sheltered accommodation.
Opportunities are available on a Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning, once or twice a month, with a minimum commitment of 6 months.