What is Handypersons?
Our Handypersons carry out a range of small household repairs and minor adaptations such as:
- Fitting window and door locks and other security items
- Fitting smoke and CO2 detectors
- Changing light bulbs and replacing small electrical fittings
- Replacing tap washers and carrying out minor plumbing works
- Fitting grabrails and handrails
- Fitting keysafes and intercoms
- Draughtproofingwindows and doors
- Fitting phone extensions
- Carrying out a range of minor repairs -please ask us for details
Some of the jobs we cannot do (but we know someone who can):
- Major electrical work
- Gas work requiring a Gas-Safe registered technician
- Work that's high-up or at high level
- Painting and decorating
- Work involving heavy machinery e.g. chainsaws
For the work we cannot do, we are able to suggest one or more local traders who can do those sorts of jobs, although we don't make recommendations. All our services will be assessed for safety on an individual basis. We will do our best to meet your individual needs and to support you in your own home so that you can be as independent as you wish. All of the Handyperson team have Disclosure & Barring Checks (formerly CRB) and are fully referenced and insured; all are paid employees of Age UK Berkshire, providing you with full confidence in our team.
How does it work?
Works that are provided via a referral from the council or hospital, to assist in security, hospital inpatient avoidance or to enable a quick discharge from hospital are currently provided free of charge.
We welcome referrals and calls from older people, families and carers for this service. Referrals can be made by social workers, occupational therapists, GPs, hospital discharge staff, etc., for the free service in West Berkshire, Reading, Wokingham and Bracknell Forest.
How much does it cost?
If the work is not being paid for by your local council then the work is charged at £25 per hour, plus the cost of materials. Elsewhere in Berkshire, we do not have contracts with local authorities and a charge of £25 per hour is made for all the types of work that we do (see below for examples), plus the cost of materials.
If you find you genuinely cannot pay those rates, please discuss with us (0118 959 4242 email@example.com) but we are unable to offer this service free of charge.
Does it cover my area?
The service is delivered in the Reading, Wokingham, Bracknell Forest and West Berkshire areas.
What do I need to do next?
Give us a call on 0118 959 4242.