Crime update August 2019
Published on 08 August 2019 11:15 AM
Parking Meter Scam/Theft
Theft from users of parking meters in Wandsworth continues to be a major problem and in July there were several incidents of this crime. Victims were approached by a person offering to help or asking for help with a card payment, which resulted in the victim being distracted, their card and or PIN being stolen and subsequent suspicious transactions being made.
Tips to stay safe
- Be aware of your surroundings. Do not get distracted. Be particularly cautious if “well-meaning” strangers try to distract you or offer to help you.
- Never share your PIN number with anyone.
- If there is anything unusual with the parking meter payment machine, or there are signs of tampering, do not use it.
- Ensure that you do not keep your PIN number written down and kept in the same place as your bank cards.
- If you have a smartphone, you can use the “Parkmobile” App to pay for your parking in Wandsworth.
- If you have a phone, you can call the Parkmobile number on 020 3003 2523 to pay once you arrive at a parking space.
Dates to remember
- Roehampton Festival, Danebury Avenue Bull Green, Saturday 7 September 2pm to 7pm.
- Brighter Living Fair, Civic Suite Friday 20 September 10.30am to 4pm.