Crime update March 2019
Published on 23 April 2019 02:08 PM
Parking Meter Scam/Theft
Last month there were several incidents of distraction and bank card theft from users of parking meters in Wandsworth. Victims were approached by a person offering to help with the card payment, which resulted in the victim being distracted, their card and or PIN being stolen and subsequent suspicious transactions being made.
Tips to stay safe
- Be aware of your surroundings. Do not get distracted. Be particularly cautious if “well-meaning” strangers try to distract you or offer to help you.
- Never share your PIN number with anyone.
- If there is anything unusual with the parking meter payment machine, or there are signs of tampering, do not use it.
- Ensure that you do not keep your PIN number written down and kept in the same place as your bank cards.
- If you have a smartphone, you can use the “Parkmobile” App to pay for your parking in Wandsworth.
- If you have a phone, you can call the Parkmobile number on 020 3003 2523 to pay once you arrive at a parking space.