Skip to content

We are committed to preventing the abuse and neglect of vulnerable adults. This page provides information on what this means and how you can help.

What is a vulnerable adult?
A vulnerable adult is a person over the age of 18 who may be in need of extra support. This is because they are elderly or have a learning disability, physical disability, sensory impairment or mental health problems. They also may be unable to take care of themselves or protect themselves from harm.

What is meant by abuse?
Abuse can mean a range of things including: 

  • Physical including hitting, slapping and punching
  • Sexual including rape and other acts to which consent has not been given
  • Emotional or psychological including threats and humiliation
  • Neglect including being left without food, heating or personal care
  • Discrimination including unfair treatment because of your gender, race, culture, background, age, disability, sexuality or illness.
  • Abuse can happen anywhere – in a residential/nursing home, hospital, workplace, day centre, supported housing or in the street. The person abusing could be a family member, friend, neighbour, volunteer or carer.

 How do I report a suspected case of abuse?

If you, or the person you are concerned about someone who lives in the borough of Bury:

  • Please see this page :  Safeguarding Adults in Bury 
  • Phone Adult Care Services Customer Contact Centre on on 0161 253 5151 during normal office hours or The Emergency Social Services Team on 0161-253-6606 during the evenings, overnight, weekends, and bank and other public holidays
  • You can also contact Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050 or the Emergency Services on 999.