Age UK Manchester relies on volunteers to help us offer vital support in the local community at this time. Would you like to lend a hand?
***Please Note: Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we are not taking on any additional volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering with us in the future, please check back with us in May. We will not be processing any regular volunteer applications received at this time. This enables us to focus our resources where they are most needed.***
Do you love listening and talking? Would you like to support someone learning a new skill? Can you help give a vulnerable person a voice? If so, we want you to join our volunteering team.
There are many reasons why it's great to volunteer. It's an ideal way to give something back to your community and make a difference in people's lives. It can provide an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge. It's also a great way to meet others and spend time with people.
We could not function without our dedicated team of volunteers who help us deliver vital services to older people in Manchester. Whatever your talents and interests, we're bound to have a voluntary opportunity where you can you share your knowledge, make new friends and have fun! You'll also get the chance to learn new skills and gain important experience to add to your CV.
All our volunteers are offered full training and will get ongoing support and advice from our volunteer management team.
So if you have the time, no matter how little, there are many ways in which you can get involved.
Who can volunteer?
Almost anyone can be a volunteer. We have a wide range of roles which suit different people and different skills.
How much time do I need to give?
It depends on the volunteer role you are interested in. Some people give an hour a week, other people do more.
Current volunteering opportunities
Become a shop volunteer
We are looking for volunteers at our Manchester shops, and if that is you and you have spare time, then apply and become a shop volunteer.
Information and advice volunteers
We are currently looking for volunteers to work within our Advice Team helping older people to overcome a range of problems, particularly relating to welfare benefit entitlements.
Day Centre volunteers
Our Day Centre's are looking for volunteers to assist our Support Workers, who provide Day Care for older ladies and gentlemen with Dementia.
- Help the manager run the shop
- Serve customers
- Process and merchandise stock
- Assist in developing activites and services to support the needs and wishes of older people
Information and advice volunteers
- Generalist Advisor
- Form filling
- A commitment of 6 hours per week (or more!) is required
Day centre volunteers
Varied rolls, but could include:
- Making tea and toast
- Serving breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea
- Clearing tables
- Washing up
- Joining in with the activities
- Travel expenses are paid
- We can contribute towards lunch for volunteering 4 hours or more, including over the lunch period
- Free DBS check, if required
- Training will be provided and the role offers an opportunity to develop excellent transferable skills as well as to make a real difference to the lives of older people in the City.
- Please do not ask to volunteer for a Befriending Service as we do not offer this service.