Whether you are an individual or part of a small group wanting to extend your social network, we aim to put people first and help them love their later life. There is no need to feel lonely or isolated. We have a willing group of volunteers or befrienders who can help you.
Some of the activities we run:
- Day centres with organised activities
- Weekly activities
- Monthly get-togethers
- Small friendly groups who are always looking for new members
- Energetic activities for those who are fitter or want to improve their fitness
- Occasional day trips to local tourist attractions
If you have any questions in relation to any of our groups and activities, or have any ideas for new groups please contact our Community Services Team who will be happy to help.
0191 287 7012
Come along, buy a cuppa and have a chat
Whitley Bay at Rendezvous Cafe, Duke's Walk, NE26 1TP on Tuesdays 2:00PM onwards.
Wideopen Friendship Group
Come together for a chat over a cuppa, listen to talks; enjoy optional outings. New members are always welcome to this friendly social group.
Meets fortnightly on Thursdays at Wideopen Library, Canterbury Way, Wideopen, NE13 6JJ, from 10.30 am – 12.00 pm. No charge for the session. Coffee/Tea can be purchased from the library.
Social groups in North Tyneside for the over 50's LGBT community.
- The Transgender group Whitley Bay Meets 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Cost: £2.00
- LGBT Group Whitley Bay meets Monthly. Time and location varies - please call for more information
For further information please contact us on 0191 2877012
Meals Out with Friends
We support two groups, the Lunch Bunch and the Evening Eaters, which meet every week in different parts of the borough. All are run by very capable, friendly volunteers who are waiting to welcome you We try to ensure that the cost of each outing is no more than £10. Please call 0191 2877012 to place a booking from the list. For further details please see the downloadable programme from the link below.
Lunch Bunch 2020
Wednesday 8th January - The Dolphin - North Shields
Wednesday 12th February - The Sandpiper - North Shields
Wednesday 11th March - Gibraltar Rock - Tynemouth
Wednesday 8th April - The Cottage Kitchen - Whitley Bay
Wednesday 13th May - My Shanghai - North Shields
Wednesday 10th June - Boundary Mill - Shiremoor. Places limited to 20 (if demand, may be increased)
Evening Eaters 2020
Thursday 2nd January - The Gibraltar Rock - Tynemouth
Thursday 6th February - The Melton Constable - Seaton Sluice
Thursday 5th March - The Kings Arms - Seaton Sluice
Thursday 2nd April - The Cannon Inn - Earsdon
Thursday 7th May - The Briardene - Whitley Bay
Thursday 4th June - The Astley Arms - Seaton Sluice
Coffee...chat...newspapers...try out new activities...trips out.
- Wallsend at Cedar Grove Wellbeing Centre, Cedar Grove, NE28 6PR. Meets fortnightly on Fridays from 12.00 pm – 2.00 pm. Cost: £2.00
- Wideopen at Wideopen Library, Canterbury Way, Wideopen NE13 6JJ. Meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month from 10.00 AM to 12.00 PM. Cost: £2.00
NEW - Garden Pottering
Love Later Life Goes Green - All tools, equipment & a cuppa provided!
The allotment is lying fallow at the moment, but will be open for business again soon as the weather improves?
- North Shields at Age UK North Tyneside Allotment, access via Eustace Avenue, North Shields, NE29 7AQ. Tuesdays 10am-12.30pm. No charge. Please contact Kay Bradshaw: 0191 2808480 For more information.