Covid 19 - Suspension of Activities and Events.
Because of the Corona virus pandemic and the lockdown regulations, we have had to suspend for the time being our normal social activities for older people. In the meantime we hope that you will keep visiting our website and watch for new developments on our News page or visit our Autumn Zoom Activities, Keep fit in Lockdown and Social Events in Lockdown pages.
Walking Group - After discussions with the walk group volunteers it has been decided, due to various factors, that the walk group will resume in March 2022 with one walk a month of between 4-5 miles. The walk programme will be released in late January/early February with further information on where you can pick up your copy to come nearer the time.
We really appreciate your patience and understanding with these matters. This is a difficult and challenging time for us all, however we remain optimistic with regard to our groups starting again.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss any of these issues, please call either 0191 2877012, 0191 2877027 or alternatively you can email our Community Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org
We host a variety of weekly activities and monthly group gatherings for you to take part in. You can choose what’s right for you and join in, whether you want to stretch your muscles or your mind, we've got something for everyone.
Maybe you want to take part in physical activity, but don't feel up to it? Our Active Age Service could give you the support and advice you need.
- If you have been physically active in the past
- Would like to get active again and might need support, advice or motivation to get going
- Are less active now because you have had changes in your life that make getting going again difficult
There are more details on our Active Age Service page or
Age UK North Tyneside are pleased to announce that the following groups are now running, or are staring soon and are accepting bookings from the dates shown :
Improving Strength and Balance 1 and 2 – Restarting Wednesdays from 13th October at Linskill Centre with Iwona (10 places available). Bookings open Monday 27th September at 9:30am
- Seated Exercise – Restarting Thursdays from 14th October 11:30am-12:30pm at Linskill Centre with Bob (10 places available). Bookings open Monday 27th September at 9:30am.
Eventbrite booking link - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/172591203937
- Gentle Circuits – Restarting Fridays from 15th October, 11am-12pm at West Moor Community Centre with Norma (15 places available). Bookings open Monday 27th September at 9:30am
- Eventbrite booking link - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/172593400507
- Gentle Exercise at Whitley Bay at St Paul’s Church Hall, Whitley Road. Starting soon.on Thursdays from 7th October 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Cost: £3.50. - Please book your tickets at Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/172597262057 Bookings open Monday 20th September at 9:30am
- Fit as a Fiddle
For those of you who are not yet ready for group activities and would prefer online sessions using Zoom. (First class Thursday 30th September with Iwona.)
- Thursdays 2-3pm : medium to increased intensity class book here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fit-as-a-fiddle-2pm-tickets-177041524967
- Thursday 3:30-4:30pm: low to medium intensity class book here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fit-as-a-fiddle-330pm-tickets-177051003317
- Walking Football Skills – Friday 6th August, 3-4pm at The Parks Sports Centre (10 places available)
Places must be booked and paid for in advance and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Monday 16th August at 9:30am
Healthy exercise for all abilities
- Active For Life: Wallsend at Allen Memorial Church Hall, Park Road, Wallsend, NE28 6QY on Fridays from 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM. Cost: £2.50. - Currently suspended
- Improving Strength and Balance (Currently full) North Shields at The Linskill Centre, Linskilll terrace, NE30 2AY 1:30 to 2:30pm Cost £4. Please call to book a place / be added to the waiting list 0191 287 7027 - - Currently suspended
- Seated Exercise Class : North Shields at The Linskill Centre, Linskilll terrace, NE30 2AY on Thursdays from 10:30 to 11:30 am. Cost £2.50. - -Currently suspended
- Seated Exercise Class: Wallsend at Battle Hill Multi Use Centre, North Bray Close, NE28 9RJ on Mondays from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Cost: £1 (Currently full - Please call prior to attending to check if available spaces) - Currently suspended
- Gentle circuits: West Moor at West Moor Community Centre, Benton Lane, NE12 7NP on Tuesdays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Cost: £2.50 - Currently suspended
- Gentle Exercise:
- Wallsend at Wallsend Customer First Centre on Fridays from 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM. Cost £2.50 - Currently suspended.
- The Lakeside Centre, Killingworth 2:00pm - 3.00pm every Monday.
The above walking football sessions is free. Just turn up and play.
- Walking Football Skills – a slower paced skills and drills session with a short match at the end
- The Parks, Howdon Road, North Shields, NE29 6TL Friday 2-3pm
Gentle exercise to strengthen muscles, improve circulation & posture, relax mind & body
- North Shields at Christ Church Parish Centre, Preston Rd, North Shields NE29 0LW on Wednesdays from 12:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Cost: £3.00
- Wallsend at Wallsend Customer First Centre, The Forum on Mondays from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM. Cost: £3.00
- Whitley Bay at Foxhunters Pavillion, Rake Lane, North Shields, NE29 9QA on Mondays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Cost: £2.00
Yoga and Relaxation
Exercise to relax mind & body
Forest Hall at Springfield Community Centre, NE12 9AG on Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Cost: £2.50. Restarting soon. For more details please click on this link.