Reduce the risk of becoming a burglary victim this Christmas
Published on 29 November 2019 10:39 AM
The Christmas and New Year period is a time when Thames Valley Police, and other forces around the country, experience an increase in residential burglary.
If you are celebrating at home, you can help to protect your property by taking a few simple steps:
- Don’t leave presents on view under the Christmas tree.
- Cut up packaging for any expensive items so that it will fit inside your refuse bin; never leave boxes next to the bin where they can be seen.
- Remember to mark your valuables using a UV pen and register them on the national property register at www.immobilise.com.
Going on holiday this festive season?
- Double check that you have locked your windows and doors before leaving.
- Light up your living room using a timer switch. A TV simulator can also be used to give the appearance of a TV screen being on.
- Invite a neighbour to park on your driveway while you are away.
You can find more information on how to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of burglary by searching for the ‘Home Security Guide’ on the Thames Valley Website (thamesvalley.police.uk)