Information and Advice
- Location: Age UK Wigan Borough
- Price: Free
Please note, this service is not available outside Age UK Wigan Borough - Head Office's catchment area.
Age UK Wigan Borough
Our information and advice service assists all people aged 50 and over, their relatives, friends and carers who are resident within the Borough of Wigan.
In 2022-23, we supported local older people to gain over £2.1 million in benefits which would otherwise have remained unclaimed.
Please note that this service is telephone-based and we currently do not have drop in advice sessions. For help, please ring 01942 615880 in the first instance.
How We Can Help
The service is free and offers information and advice on a wide range of issues such as:
- Disability benefits including Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Carers Allowance;
- Welfare benefits to top up your income including Pension Credit and help with housing costs;
- Availability of grants and loans from the local authority, DWP or other agencies;
- Help with the completion of local authority application forms including Occupational Therapy self assessments, and the Blue Badge scheme;
- Consumer issues.
We offer information, advice and practical assistance such as completing forms and writing letters. A telephone appointment is necessary for completion of a benefit claim or other application forms but general telephone advice is available most days of the week.
All enquiries are dealt with confidentially and impartially, and we will not pass individual details onto third parties without prior permission.
The Information and Advice Service has achieved the Advice Quality Standard.
What People Say
- I now feel less reliant on friends to take me shopping or on hospital visits;
- The difference this money has made is like a ton of bricks lifted from my back;
- This has made a massive difference for the better to my everyday life.
Information from Age UK
Age UK has a wide range of leaflets on different issues affecting older people. These include leaflets on:
- Money and legal issues
- Health and wellbeing
- Care and support
- Work and learning
- Travel and hobbies
- Covid 19
To access these, click the link below