Coronavirus in Bury
Things are changing weekly and to help people keep up, we are producing a regular newsletter. Previous editions are listing in the column to the left.
Key websites for Bury residents
The rules and what you can and can not do is at https://www.bury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=15594
For inforamtion about vaccinations in Bury, go to https://www.bury.gov.uk/coronavirus-vaccine
To find out about how to get a test for coronavirus, please go to the Bury Council website: https://www.bury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=15451
For all those questions about Coronavirus, and how it affects your life, please check out the Age UK FAQ website: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/coronavirus/
For help with shopping and collecting prescriptions, help from the Bury Community Hubs is available: https://www.bury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=15300
Telephone helpline and online support
We will be answering the Age UK Bury office telephone – 0161 763 9030 - from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm every weekday throughout the lock down. If we can not help, we are sure to find someone who can! If you get the answerphone, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
We will update people with latest news on
Our weekly newsletter comes out on Friday. Urge your friends to sign up at our subscription page.
Information and Advice
Our information and advice service supports people with benefit checks and filling in application forms for Attendance Allowance.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Louise on 07872 067662 (Monday to Thursday) or Ruth on 07547 400142 (Tuesday to Friday).
Keeping In Touch
Our Keeping in Touch telephone service offers older people in Bury a regular friendly phone call from one of our volunteers.
For more information, call 0161 763 9030 (Monday to Friday 10.00 am to 2.00 pm) or email email@example.com to sign up.
Free Online Activities
Sue holds a Tai Chi class online on Fridays at 11.00 am on the Zoom video app. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for an access code.
This class is available on the Zoom platform. To download the free app, go to https://zoom.us/
Diana will be live on our Facebook page on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Monday: 11.00 to 11.45: Gentle Exercise
- Monday: 11.50 to 12.35: Chair Based Exercises
- Tuesday: 10.00-10.45: DanceFit
- Wednesday: 9.30 to 10.30 am: Pilates
If you can’t make these times, Facebook will let you watch at a later time. Join us at https://www.facebook.com/ageukbury/
Our service helps with small DIY and repair jobs such as fitting handrails and security locks, assembling flat pack furniture; minor plumbing, and changing light bulbs. All work will be carried out adhering to Covid-19 regulations to protect you and Andrew, who is our Handy Person Manager.
Written quotes will be given for all work. Prices are dependent on the scale and length of work being done. If you have a couple of small jobs which could be completed in an hour, it would cost £30 plus materials.
We are also working with trusted traders to help people with specialist work (e.g. replacement of boilers, roofing etc).
Contact Sue on 0161 796 6949 (Office hours 08:30 am – 4:00 pm, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) or email email@example.com
Due to government restrictions, our Jubilee Centre café, charity shops and activities have closed.
Help from our National Partner, Age UK
- The Age UK Advice Line is 0800 678 1602 from 8 am to 7 pm, every day of the year.
- If you would just like to have a friendly natter with another person, please call The Silver Line 24 hours a day on 0800 470 80 90.
We are extremely grateful to all who have supported us at this time.
- Age UK for the support from the Coronavirus Appeal
- Avoira, a leading telecommunications firm in Bury, for supporting our telephone befriending scheme;
- Bury Council for the administration of grants to support local businesses
- Forever Manchester for supporting our advice line and Key Safe service
- Horsfield and Smith for their help with our payroll through this difficult time
- Miller Harris for their donation of soups and hand wash to older people in Bury
- Ron at Infotec, Bury for IT support
- Sport England for their support to the Jubilee Centre, whilst it is closed
Please put your own health first, look after each other, and stay alive.
Andy & the trustees, volunteers, staff, and tutors at Age UK Bury.