Skip to content

We are committed to preventing the abuse and neglect of vulnerable adults. This page provides information on what this means and how you can help.  We aim to adopt the highest possible standards and take all reasonable steps in relation to the safety and welfare of vulnerable older people. Abuse is a single or repeated act or lack of appropriate action which causes harm or distress to an older person.
If you need help either because you are at risk of abuse, or because you may abuse someone because of your own problems please talk to someone. Details of who to contact are at the end, but in an emergency always call 999.

What is a vulnerable adult?

A vulnerable adult is a person over the age of 18 who may be in need of extra support. This is because they are elderly or have a learning disability, physical disability, sensory impairment or mental health problems. They also may be unable to take care of themselves or protect themselves from harm.

What protection do they need?

If the safety or wellbeing of a person is in question, protection would be needed to ensure that person is safeguarded from abuse or mistreatment. This can be:

  • Physical including hitting, slapping and punching
  • Sexual including rape and other acts to which consent has not been given
  • Emotional or psychological including threats and humiliation
  • Neglect including being left without food, heating or personal care
  • Discrimination including unfair treatment because of your gender, race, culture, background, age, disability, sexuality or illness.

Abuse can happen anywhere – in a residential/nursing home, hospital, workplace, day centre, supported housing or in the street. The person abusing could be a family member, friend, neighbour, volunteer or carer.

How do I report a suspected case of abuse?

If you, or the person you are concerned about lives in Derbyshire:

You should contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to safeguard vulnerable adults. In an emergency, always dial 999.

If you or the person you are concerned about lives in Derby City:

You should contact Derby City Council Adult Social Services on 01332 640777 during office hours. Outside of these hours you can contact Careline, Derby’s out of hours emergency social care service, on 01332 711250. In an emergency, always dial 999.

If you are concerned about an older person and feel they may be being abused or at risk of being abused call Age UK Derby and Derbyshire. An Information and Advice Worker will listen to your concerns and help. The information your give us will be handled sensitively but it is our responsibility to report any incidents of elder abuse so the information you share may not be able to be treated confidentially.