Come and join our Enabling team as an Enabler. Provide a service to older people in Exeter that promotes their independence, health, and mental well-being. Supporting them to work towards personalised outcomes.
To work with individuals on a range of tasks.
o Enabling to go shopping and other engagements.
o Enabling domestic daily living tasks, including light cleaning.
o Support with paperwork, finances and correspondence.
o Befriending, advising and signposting to other agencies.
o Other similar tasks.
Tasks will not include personal care tasks such as washing or dressing.
- Probationary Period:6 months from commencement of post.
- Pension:Staff aged between 22 and state retirement age earning above the threshold for income tax will be automatically enrolled into the Scottish Widows Age UK pension scheme based on a 5% contribution by both employer and employee. Staff may opt out of the scheme within 30 days of receiving the scheme’s joiner pack for a full refund of any contribution made. Other staff may opt to join the scheme upon request.
- Notice:One month’s notice will be required in writing by either side. One week during the probationary period.
- Travel:Mileage will be paid between clients at a rate of 40p per mile. It will not be paid from home to first client or last client to home. Mileage will also be paid for occasions when the client is escorted out in your car.
- Annual Leave:6 weeks including public holidays.
For an informal discussion concerning the post please contact Karen Brooks, the Enabling Service Manager on 01392 455606
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for interview. In the interests of economy, we regret we are unable to acknowledge other applications.
The post is subject to an enhanced DBS
In return we offer you the opportunity to become one of our Enabling Team Members, what we can offer you:
- Full induction programme before starting in the community
- Regular 1-1 support meetings as well as team meetings
- Paid annual leave
- Paid mileage between clients
- Job satisfaction
Please download an application pack below and return it to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone us on 01392 202092 and we can send you an application pack in the post or email you one.
Information and Advice Manager
28 hours per week, Monday – Thursday
£18,986 - £20,238 for 28 hours pw, £25,088 - £26,743 pro rata
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who already has an understanding of the information needs of older people and the barriers they may face in accessing that information. Age UK Exeter previously ran an Information and Advice service and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to influence and play a substantial role in re-establishing and further developing the service. It is envisaged that the service will initially be delivered over the telephone. The successful candidate will need excellent communication skills and must be a self starter as one of their first tasks will be to work collaboratively with internal and external partners to establish a thorough knowledge of pension age welfare and other benefits. They will then create a comprehensive database of information on national and local services to enable delivery of a first class information and signposting service to older people. Continuous improvement and maintainance of the database would be part of the role.
Another part of this role will be to establish a small team of volunteers (mainly for home visits) and design and organise induction and on-going training for those volunteers using both internal and external existing contacts and resources.
Please supply a CV and covering letter detailing how you fit the person specification by : 12 noon, Friday, 28th January 2022
Interviews will be held on Wednesday, 9th February 2022 at Age UK Exeter, The Sycamores, Mount Pleasant Road, EX4 7AE
An enhanced DBS check is a requirement of the post
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by telephone but in the interests of economy we regret we are unable to acknowledge other applications.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact the Chief Executive, Nicky Flynn on 01392 202092.
Men in Sheds Charity Shop Manager
We are delighted that an opportunity has arisen for a shop Manager in our Men in Sheds shop in Paris Street, Exeter. We have a team of amazing volunteers who work in the shops, many regular customers who shop with us and we are fortunate to have many generous donations from people from the local community or from far and wide!
The role of a Charity Shop Manager is a busy one and is vital to ensure the smooth running of the shop, along with the care of the volunteers and customers. It works very closely with the Men in sheds workshop and is part of Age UK Exeter. This is an opportunity to job share this role.
Job Description: Part time role – Men in sheds Charity Shop
- You will be reliable, trustworthy, friendly, flexible, hardworking and an excellent communicator.
- You will be able to work as part of a team and occasionally work alone; and be confident to use your own initiative and take responsibility where appropriate.
- You will fully appreciate, and will be an advocate for, the whole work of our charity. See our website for more information.
- You will have patience, empathy and understanding towards people from all walks of life without judgement, but with encouragement and empowerment
- You will ideally have previous retail experience
- You will have some experience in working in a trade or a good overall knowledge of tools and are interested in all thing’s tools, DIY, metalwork and carpentry.
- Working in, and supervising, all aspects of the day to day running of the charity shop in line with our policies and procedures; this will include sorting and pricing donations, maintaining a safe and welcoming shop, serving customers, displaying and sorting stock, the store room, creating window displays, daily cashing up and being a key holder.
- Managing and training a team of highly valued volunteers – encouraging and empowering the volunteers, managing the rota, encouraging volunteers to discover and develop their skills, gifts and abilities.
- Recognising all aspects of the charity and actively promoting them in the shop.
- Receiving initial enquiries from customers, and passing information to the relevant team.
- Working alongside the Co-ordinator to develop new opportunities, ideas and ways forward as we continue to adapt and grow
- Occasional cover, for sickness and holidays
Hours: 32 hours per week- Tuesday- Saturday 10-4pm. ( 2 hours extra for opening/closing)
Wages: leave per annum, plus statutory bank holidays
To apply for this role please call Age UK Exeter for an application form
Closing Date Friday 21 January 2021 5pm.
Interviews. Weds or Thursday 26/27 January
For more details about the charity please see the website www.ageuk.org.uk/exeter/
or contact our Men in Sheds Co-ordinator Rich Boult for an informal chat on 01392 202092
How to apply for a vacancy with Age UK Exeter
Age UK Exeter is a local independent charity. We help over 1,500 local older people every year, offering activities, events, day services, carer support, befriending and information. It's a great place to work if you really want to make a difference in people's lives.
Guidance for applicants
We do not accept CVs. Please only use the application form below, adding additional pages where necessary. If you add additional pages please ensure that your name and the position applied for is clearly marked at the top of each additional page. Application forms must be completed in black ink or typescript. All parts of the Application Form must be completed.
Before completing the Application Form please carefully read through the job description and person specification. Your completed application should demonstrate that you have the skills and attributes outlined in the person specification, including examples of how and when you have used them.
Age UK Exeter is committed to safeguarding the people we work with and their families. The job description will indicate if the position is subject to a DBS check.
If you want to apply for a vacancy with Age UK Exeter, please download and read the documents below, complete the Application Form and return it to us.