Skip to content

Moving to Universal Credit

Published on 02 April 2024 12:47 PM

Are you currently receiving benefits or tax credits?

Some benefits and tax credits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment to help with your living costs and provides support if you are working and on a low income or are looking for work.

Find out more about Universal Credit

The following benefits and tax credits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit:  

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Look out for a letter called a Universal Credit Migration Notice from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) explaining what you’ll need to do and when. You can find out when you’re likely to be asked to move to Universal Credit

When you receive your Migration Notice letter, it’s important you check the date that you will need to claim by as you won’t be moved automatically. Do not worry, your letter will give you instructions to follow. Meanwhile, you can start to prepare for your move to Universal Credit.

Your current benefits will end as soon as you submit your claim for Universal Credit. You will not be able to go back to your existing benefit once you have claimed. 

Age UK North Tyneside can help support you with the move to Universal Credit. Call us on 0191 280 8484 or get in touch online.

How much will I get on Universal Credit?

How much Universal Credit you get will depend on your personal circumstances. You can get an estimate of how much your Universal Credit payment will be with an online benefit calculator.

Find out more

More about Universal Credit