How Age UK Southampton is responding to the demands of the Coronavirus crisis
The impact of the Coronavirus crisis is being felt severely on Southampton’s older population, with the ‘lockdown’ and self-isolation measurers adding to many residents’ loneliness, and causing many practical difficulties in shopping for basic food requirements and medication.
While we’re part of a city-wide group of voluntary sector organisations who have come together to address the crisis, here are the Age UK Southampton services we are focusing on:
- Wellbeing telephone calls are being made twice weekly to all our social group members and to those we are aware of as being particularly vulnerable
- Working with Hampshire Police who have donated food and are assisting in its distribution across the city
- Working with the NHS Youth Workers at Southampton’s Children’s Hospital to provide ‘letters of cheer’ to send out to vulnerable clients in the 'From Me to You' project
- While our daycare centre is temporarily closed, Southampton Living Well staff are supporting clients in their homes with wellbeing phone calls and face-to-face visits
- Working with Age UK’s ‘Call in time’ service to provide clients with an additional call if required
- Signposting clients to shopping services
- Our Information & Advice service continues to run as normal, although with no face-to-face contact. Welfare Benefits checks can be carried out over the phone. Enquiries are handled by staff working at home.
- Our Home Visiting Service is currently on hold for face-to-face visits to protect older people and their visitors; volunteers are calling their clients instead.
We are immensely grateful to our dedicated team of staff and volunteers for supporting these new ways of working, and their outstanding commitment to the wellbeing and independence of older people.
If you are able to support our work with a donation to help towards our expenses, including the cost of the Personal Protective Equipment that we are providing to keep our clients, staff and volunteers safe at his critical time, please click here
For further information and advice about the COVID-19 (Corona Virus) please click here