At age UK Westminster we recognise the importance of keeping fit and active and how this can be difficult at the moment, so we have put together a series of exercises to lift the spirits, aid mobility, increase strength and reduce stress during these difficult times.
Please check your own capability but these are intended to be gentle exercises that are suitable for those who are not used to exercise or have limited mobility but are equally valuable to those who just want a gentle work out from home.
Enjoy being 'Active with Aggie' Tuesday 12th January at 9.30am and from Thursday 28th January at 11.00am.
The exercises are based on traditional pilates but delivered with enthusiasm, energy, humour and sensitivity to lift the spirits, mobilise points, increase strength and reduce stress during these difficult times.
It is suitable for those who are not used to exercise or have limited mobility but equally valuable to those who just want a gentle work out from home.
It lasts for 30 minutes. It can be done seated or standing.
Clothing should be comfortable, but it is not necessary to wear a gym kit. This session will be on ZOOM. Please contact Souad for registration and link.
For instructions on the ZOOM video installation see How to use Zoom
Chair Yoga Exercise
Charlotte, our Chair Yoga Exercise teacher is creating a series of videos to help us all stay fit and active while at home.
1) Strengthening the Core - exercise routine with stretching and breathing exercise to relax the body.
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/Q8rAlLir5HM
2) Lower Back & Self Care - work into stretches to ease lower back pain and a visualisation at the end to relax the body and release tension.
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/0bO3Gy4P1vY
3) Deep Breathing - practicing deep breathing is important to oxygenate the blood and nourish the body. It also works to calm the mind and alleviate anxiety:
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/yWv3QJ98UBU
4) Being in the present moment - this week Charlotte is helping us to stay in the present moment. Accept the past, make the most of the present and allow the best to occur in the future.
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/SF-gRKre92o
5) Doing things differently - You will need two chairs.
Charlotte has us doing things a little differently this week, come and see!
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/7G4sry_pR04
6) Awareness of your body - In the final video in the series Charlotte helps us to increase awareness of our body, experimenting with position but never working into any pain.
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/TBP9l1ZY4Ro
Workout with Sharon and Re-energise
We’ve all been less active since the beginning of the ‘Lockdown’ and now is the time to try some gentle exercise with Sharon to get you fit and active.
1) Gentle exercise to Re energize with Sharron
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/9ON2rj3d-Mc
2) Gentle exercise for a 'Total Body Workout'.
To view the video go to https://youtu.be/Mg-XL5cCYSo
3) Balance Workout with Sharon and Age UK Westminster
To view the video go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0-Kmcj5Qg
4) Move your body workout
To view the video go to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKa_YGMWKk
Keep Fit and Active
It is important to keep fit and active at this time and the following link to the NHS Aerobics for beginners may be useful: