What do Fitness & Friendship Club Leaders do?
Our Volunteer Club Leaders run community-based Fitness & Friendship Clubs which include a mix of chair-based exercises & social activities specifically designed for older people. As a Club Leader you will also help to promote the club in the local area to encourage older people to maintain healthy lifestyles in a fun and friendly way.
About the Fitness & Friendship Service
Fitness & Friendship clubs promote the physical and mental wellbeing of older by helping them stay fit and active in later life so that they are more able to remain independent. They are social clubs with an emphasis on keeping active and staying healthy, where fun and laughter play a big part.
The clubs run in two parts – gentle chair-based exercises for about 40 minutes followed by a refreshment break where attendees can socialise and catch up with one another. The second part is driven by what the members have said they want to do – group games such as kurling; T’ai Chi; quizzes; listening to a speaker, more social time etc.
Where is this role available?
At one of our established Fitness & Friendship Clubs or one of the planned new Clubs.
When can I do this?
Our Fitness & Friendship Clubs run on a Tues, Weds or Thurs generally in the afternoon between 2pm - 4pm.
What time commitment is expected?
Each club runs for a couple of hours every other week. The day of the week varies with each club.
What are the practical considerations?
You must be over 18 & be prepared to undertake the training requirements
What will you get out of it?
- An organisation induction to give you an overview of Age UK Wiltshire and an insight into all its’ services
- Low Impact Functional Exercise Instructor Training (L.I.F.E). Working alongside one of our experienced instructors at a pace that suits you. (Minimum of 5 sessions)
- 10 online training courses which include GDPR; Safeguarding; Equality, Diversity and Inclusion; Slips, Trips & Falls
- First Aid Training
- Tai Chi Training (Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi) giving you the ability to instruct Tai Chi to your club members - a blended style training of online and alongside an experienced instructor
- Free uniform
- All equipment needed to deliver club sessions
- Out of pocket expenses
- Working as part of a team to help you develop new skills
- Opportunities to bring new ideas to further club development
What are we looking for?
We are looking for people:
- with an interest in exercise and health improvement
- with the ability to encourage and motivate others and who are confident and have a sense of fun
- who are happy to learn new skills and who are willing to undertake training online and as part of a group
- who are happy to be responsible for the day to day running of a club
- who are able to work within a team to further develop the clubs
Apply for this role
To apply to be a Fitness & Friendship Club Leader please complete our volunteer application online.