Skip to content

Tool belt

About the Service

It can often be difficult and expensive to find someone to do those small jobs that you used to do yourself, such as hanging a curtain rail or fixing a dripping tap. Our Handyperson service can help with these jobs. We offer different levels of service in Calderdale and Kirklees as we receive funding from Kirklees Council to offer some services free of charge.

How do I book a handyperson

If you would like to use this service or to talk to one of our staff about what we can do for you, please contact us

Tel: 01422 252040


Alternatively, please fill in our submission form at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you within 2 weeks.



FREE OFFER!  For a limited time we are offering FREE Home Energy Checks!

Keep warm and save money this winter. Book a free home energy check today and receive information about keeping warm and well and have free energy saving equipment installed in your home (conditions apply).

Call and book today 01422 252040


Handyperson Service

Who is eligible for this service?

This service operates across Calderdale and Kirklees and is open to anyone aged 50+ or adults with a disability.

Residents in Kirklees who are:

  • Aged over the age of 60 and/or with a disability
  • Children and young people with a disability and/or
  • Individuals being discharged from hospital or intermediate care

Residents in social housing or a care home are not eligible for the free service.

What jobs can we do?

Examples of the work we can do are:

  • Minor plumbing, e.g. tap washers and sink blockages
  • Fitting key safes
  • Fitting security items such as door chains and window locks
  • Fitting internal and external handrails
  • Moving furniture
  • Minor joinery and many other small jobs.

Are there jobs that we can’t do?

We are unable to do large scale works, gas work, electrical work (other than light bulbs and fuses) or any work at height.

We have an online directory of local vetted traders, so we may be able to put you in touch with someone who can. Call the directory on 0800 012 6508 if you do not have access to the internet and we will search for you.

Is there a charge for the service?

In Kirklees, the service is funded by Kirklees Council and in most cases is free. You may need to pay for any materials used.

In Calderdale, we charge a reasonable hourly rate plus the cost of materials.

All our callers carry identification and contact you before visiting your home. They have also had checks made as to their suitability.

What else can we do?

We aim to try to help people remain safe and independent in their own home.
We can carry out a holistic falls assessment for each person over the age of 60 using the service (and while stock last we are giving away beautiful tea towels designed by some talented pupils at All Saints Catholic High School) and a home safety and security check will also be incorporated into every home visit.


Handyperson Service Referral Form