There are more than 300 known victims of scams in Derbyshire. So far, more than 70 Derbyshire residents have been contacted from the list.
As a result of further investigation, officers found that:
- The average age of scam victims is 77
- More than 90% of victims live alone or are recently widowed
- On average victims lose around £3,500
- Many victims report loneliness as the main driver for answering or responding to mail or phone scams
But just a few hours of your time can help a victim understand they have been scammed and put simple measures in place to reduce the risk of repeated attacks.
- volunteer wherever is convenient – the project is across Derbyshire
- volunteer for just 1 session (approximately 3 hours total) or many sessions – the choice is yours
- learn about Scamwatch and take this knowledge into other roles
- make a big difference to a vulnerable adult with just a small donation of your time and skills
- improve your skills, CV and life experience with a one-off donation of your time
- claim travel and agreed essential expenses
The project operates from 01.09.15 – 31.08.16 and you can volunteer at any time during the project. Full training is provided by Trading Standards. Supervision and support is provided throughout your volunteering experience.
The Administrator, Age UK Derby and Derbyshire,
29A Market Place,