Last year our knitters knitted 19,917 hats (ranking 7th across the Age UK network for the most knitted hats), raising £4,979. This was thanks largely to the Knit and Natter group in Seaton and the Chudleigh Knighton Friendship Group. Members of both groups meet regularly to knit for the campaign whilst using the sessions as a social opportunity. A number of other community groups and individuals across Devon knit for the cause and send the hats to the Age UK Devon office.
A special mention should go to the Sowden family, Maria Sowden, her nan (Elsie Sowden), her granddad (Percy Sowden), her sister (Manda) and her mum (Heather) who collectively produced nearly 2,000 hats.
The funds were used to support:
- delivery of Information and Advice services to help over 1,000 older people to stay warm and well during winter.
- the purchase of a portable electric heater for an older person who did not have any form of working heating
- a free two course hot healthy lunch at an event in Newton Abbot for 46 people
- the Information and Advice Manager attending a Dementia Conference as key note speaker to talk about services available from Age UK Devon, benefits advice and how to stay warm and well during winter
- 450 Benefit Enquiry Sessions (300 funded via First Utility)
- the distribution of over 100 Winter Warmth goody bags
- the Information and Advice Manager and Community Activities Manager attending four health and wellbeing events organised by East Devon District Council to talk about services available from Age UK Devon, benefits advice and how to stay warm and well during winter, and the provision of exercise taster sessions
This year is being promoted as the ‘biggest Big Knit ever’ as Age UK has been tasked with putting little woolly hats on 2 million smoothie bottles, which will be sold by retailers nationwide in November 2017.
Age UK Devon has been given a hat target of 39,834! We have until 31 January 2017 to submit our first target of 19,917 hats and then we have until 31st July 2017 to submit our second target of 19,917 hats. This is essentially two normal campaigns, but the hats will be kept and put on smoothie bottles in November 2017.
If you can knit please dig out your knitting needles and wool and follow the pattern below. If you can’t knit, do you know someone who can? Once you have knitted your hats, please telephone us on 0333 241 2340.
A big thank you to our fab knitters who have been sending us amazing hats. We have been wowed by all your creativity.
Our 18,645 Big Knit hats were carefully tucked up in their parcels and posted to Fruit Towers for the first deadline on 31st January 2017.
Since January our total has increased to 23,000 hats! It is always exciting when a new parcel arrives at the office to see what amazing creations are held inside.
We would love to see photos of your designs if you have not yet sent us the hats or of your knitting in action; send them to us by email on email@example.com.
Please make sure all hats created are sent to our office by 21st July 2017 at Age UK Devon, 1 Manaton Court, Matford Business Park, Exeter, EX2 8PF. This will allow us to send them to innocent by the final deadline of 31st July 2017, when we will be aiming to achieve our total target of 40,000 hats.
We look forward to seeing your creations and remember every hat counts!