Purpose of Role
To provide a front line point of contact for visitors and telephone enquiries on behalf of Age UK East Sussex and Care for The Carers.
Role of the Volunteer
- Responsible for first point of contact face to face and taking initial telephone calls.
- Transfer callers where necessary to relevant area, service or person.
- To book appointments for clients with the I&A Advisers.
- Check answer phone messages daily and respond accordingly.
- Answer telephone enquiries giving basic information and signpost where necessary.
- Deal with visitors to the hub, answer basic enquiries and signpost or refer when necessary.
- To record information accurately and fully as required.
- Deal with outgoing post and recording.
- To provide hearing aid batteries.
- To support the Information & Advice Service with basic tasks where required.
- To assist with other administrative work e.g. updating information.
Skills and Attributes Needed
- An interest in working with and for the benefit of older people.
- Sensitivity and understanding of the range of issues affecting older people.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Effective listening and communication skills.
- Ability to use basic IT systems and update manual records.
- Able to use or willingness to learn to use the internet and Microsoft Office 365.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Patience and empathy.
- Trustworthy and reliable.
As a Volunteer We Would Ask You To:
- Commit to a minimum of one morning per week between 08.50 am to 1pm or an afternoon from 1pm to 5.30pm.
- Adhere to the Age UK East Sussex confidentiality policy and equal opportunities policy maintaining discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Be guided by your team leader.
- Be courteous, professional, reliable and conscientious in your commitment.
- Participate in an annual supervision and periodic group meetings.
- Give due notice when unable to attend.
- Commit to a twelve week National Certificate of Further Education distance learning course in Information, Advice and Guidance.
As a Volunteer We Will Offer You:
- An induction and initial training.
- Ongoing training relevant to your role.
- Regular support and supervision.
- An opportunity to meet other volunteers socially and for training.
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses.
- Work experience and reference after six months volunteering.
- Appreciation of your time and commitment given to Age UK East Sussex.
We place great value on our volunteers - who bring so much to the organisation. Their time, energy and commitment are recognised and greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions about our volunteer roles please feel free to contact us on:
Phone: 01273 476704
Age UK East Sussex
1 Faraday Close