Following admission to A and E at either the Conquest Hospital in Hastings or the Eastbourne District General Hospital this service supports older people to enable a timely return from hospital and to prevent admission or readmission.
About this service
This service enables older people who have attended Accident and Emergency at the Conquest Hospital Hastings or the Eastbourne District General Hospital, to go home rather than be admitted to hospital.
It supports older residents of East Susssex with an emphasis on those who live alone or who are carers. It helps to facilitate a safe discharge from hospital, accompany patients home and ensures they are safely settled in.
How the service works?
The service provides support for clients discharged from hospital by offering help with a broad range of tasks including:
- Taking them home from hospital and settling them in, making sure that they are comfortable
- Carrying out a risk assessment for their safety
- Obtaining any immediate shopping they may need
- Making a cup of tea and preparing a snack if required
- Light housekeeping including tidying and changing bed linen
- Installing/positioning any equipment from hospital
- Assisting in the management of medications
- Helping with simple form filling
- Supporting self care/confidence building
- Sign posting to other services
Who can use this service?
This free service is for residents of East Sussex who are aged 55 and over, especially those who live alone, are carers or have had a fall.
Accessing the service
The service accepts referrals from the Hospital Intervention Team at the Conquest Hospital in Hastings or the Eastbourne District General Hospital. Referrals from wards and self referrals may also be accepted with prior agreement from the Hospital Intervention Teams.
For more information contact the Hospital Intervention Team at
The Conquest Hospital in Hastings
The Eastbourne District General Hospital