Skip to content

Age UK Wiltshire offers free and comprehensive advice on a wide range of subjects.

We can help you identify the problem, explain the choices available and help you decide what you want to do. We may be able to provide individual support if you need further help to resolve the problem.

If you're beginning to struggle at home we can talk about the difficulties you are experiencing and give you information about the options available to you. 

Our services

  • We can provide information and advice on housing options
  • We can explain how to access help to keep you independent at home, such as accessing aids/equipment
  • We can provide information and help to understand decisions about your housing arrangements
  • Signposting to specialist housing advice for more complex queries such as homelessness, repairs

How we deliver the service

  • Telephone advice
  • Email advice
  • Face to face appointments
  • Information guides and factsheets 

Our Resources

Common Questions

I would like to understand my housing options e.g. sheltered

There are several housing options available for older people and Age UK's info guide Housing Options(IG08) gives an overview, including rented and private purchase sheltered housing and extra care housing. 

You can view a comprehensive database of rented and leasehold sheltered housing schemes nationwide here:  (click on the accommodation tab and select ‘housing’). 

Most rented sheltered housing is allocated through the local authority housing register, together with housing association and social housing properties.  Each council has slightly different criteria for accessing sheltered housing which is often based on ‘local connection’, housing need, health and finances. This will be explained in their 'Social Housing Allocation Policy'. In Wiltshire and Swindon someone may still be able to apply for housing that is adapted for a disability, even if they own their current home or have savings - please refer to the council's allocation policy. Wiltshire council housing register: 0300 456 0106  Swindon council housing register : 01793 445500. Some housing associations may offer rented properties (‘direct lets’) outside of the housing register.

Purchasing Sheltered housing is possible through estate agents and housing developers - generally these are ‘leasehold’ so there may be additional service charges and ground rent to pay.  Age UK have a factsheet 'Specialist Housing for Older People' with things to consider.

If health reasons are a primary factor in needing to move, you may be entitled to a free care needs assessment from the local authority adult social care team for extra support at your current property to make it more suitable for your needs. If the assessment identifies that the current housing is not suitable then this could add weight to an application for sheltered housing. There is also a benefit called 'Attendance Allowance' to help with the extra costs of having a long-term health condition or disability and people. You can read more about these in Age UK’s info guide Getting help at home (IG23). 

We have suggestions, further information and links relating to this under the ‘Housing, care and help at home’ category of our Local Trades and Services page

I am thinking of moving into a care home

Moving into a care home is a big decision and a good starting point in arranging support is contacting the council’s adult social care team to request a free care needs assessment. This is an assessment of a person’s ‘eligible needs’ and can help because it provides a report of what the needs are and how these could be met (a care plan) and the cost of meeting the needs (a personal budget amount), which can be a good basis for arranging care and support such as equipment, care package or residential care home placement. 

Some people are eligible for some local authority funding towards care costs. A person’s financial contribution towards their care costs is calculated from their individual finances using rules outlined in the Care Act 2014 and most people need to pay something towards their care. If you have more than £23,250 in capital you may need to pay all your care costs as a ‘self funder’. In certain circumstances care costs may be met through NHS Continuing Health Care Funding (NHS CHC) which is not means-tested. There is more information about arranging and funding this type of care in Age UK's factsheet Finding, choosing and funding a care home (FS29)

If you have an informal carer, like a partner, they can ask for their own Carer's Assessment to get help.  

If you own a property there are particular rules and schemes to consider which are explained in Age UK's Factsheet Property and paying for residential care (FS38) 

For self-funders of care, the Money Helper Service has a page on self-funding your long term care with other options to consider. It is important to be aware of deprivation of assets rules in case you need local authority funding in the future. 

We have further information and links relating to this on our website  Local Trades and Services search page under the ‘Housing, care and help at home’ category.We understand that arranging and funding residential care can be complex and we can give further advice on specific enquiries. 

I have a housing problem

Age UK Wiltshire do not provide specialist advice on housing repairs and issues.

Shelter are a national housing charity that can provide advice on legal issues.

Wiltshire Law Centre provide free legal advice relating to housing matters to Wiltshire and Swindon residents.

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel have useful factsheets and a helpline for housing related queries.

We have suggestions, further information and links relating to this on our website Local Trades and Services search page under the ‘Housing, care and help at home’ category.

Can't find what you are looking for?

If you are looking for something specific, or you are not sure what kind of support or advice you need, our frequently asked questions page has answers to the most common questions we receive.

Check out our FAQs