Our Healthier Lifestyles project provides advice and support to those needing to manage existing conditions and improve their physical and mental wellbeing
Health Champions assist by helping out at Health Hubs at Age UK Croydon’s activities centre, and within the local community at outreach sessions across the borough. They also visit clients in their own homes, encouraging healthy eating by making meal times a social affair.
What is expected of me?
- Good listening and communication skills
- Awareness of healthy lifestyle and healthy ageing factors
- Ability to shadow then lead in supporting existing and new clients to Health Hubs and Outreach sessions to feel welcome and valued
- Ability to assist attendees to fill out registers, data collection and monitoring forms
- Willingness to support older adults and work with people of all cultural backgrounds
- Confidence to work alone, and travel around the borough, if visiting someone in their home
- Experience in a health setting is desirable, but not required
What you will get out of it
- Relevant training courses will be provided, including support to gain knowledge in the general running of the Healthier Lifestyle team
- Regular supervision and support given
- Meeting new people and being part of a vibrant volunteering team
- Gaining new skills
- Travel and other expenses will be reimbursed