`Being a befriender is more than I anticipated. Our weekly chats is something I look forward to as well as the client looking forward to it. My client is lovely and has lots of funny stories to tell`
We appreciate your concern for Older people during this challenging time relating to Coronavirus (Covid-19). However, please note that the recruitment process to be a volunteer may take between 6-8 weeks; this is dependent on DBS/references checks and training.
If you would like to offer your support sooner, there are an increasing number of local support groups setting up in various areas and we would encourage you to research them online.
Age UK East London relies on volunteers to help us offer vital services in the local community. Would you like to lend a hand?
Volunteering roles with Age UK East London
*Please note that you must be aged 18+ if you wish to volunteer on a position which involves working at the service user’s home address.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills, and support the work we do in the community.
Who can volunteer?
Almost anyone can be a volunteer. We have a wide range of roles which suit different people and different skills.
How much time do I need to give?
It depends on the volunteer role you are interested in. Some people give an hour a week, other people do more.
How do I apply?
- Check opportunities available
- Complete the application form
- Within one week you will be invited to an interview where we will find out more about you and you can express your preferences. We will also take your details for the DBS check
- Once all checks are clean and references received you will be invited to an induction and training between 2 hours and 1 day depending on the role you choose
What can you expect from us?
If you become a volunteer with Age UK East London, we:
- Provide a role description so you are clear as to what is expected of you
- Offer training and support to enable you to perform your chosen role
- Reimburse certain expenses (e.g. travel)
What do we expect from you?
As one of our volunteers, we expect you to:
- Be available regularly (hours per week varies depending on what you volunteer for) with a commitment of at least 6 months
- Ensure you understand and abide by any guidelines associated with your role
- Be reliable, as our clients depend on the services we provide
- Be trustworthy and keep information about clients confidential
- Be a good ambassador for Age UK East London.
What else you can do to support us
Take part in a fundraiser
Could you help us to raise vital funds by taking part in a fundraising event? We have regular events such as sponsored walks, but you could also do your own fundraiser like a cake sale.
Get your colleagues involved
Could you talk to your colleagues or your employer about how you can support us? We have lots of ideas for how organisations can get involved, including sponsoring an event, making us Charity of the Year, or donating equipment.