Age UK uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them read our cookie policy Read our privacy policy
Skip to content

Referals must come from professionals for this service 

Care Act advocates support adults who need care and support, carers and children who are moving to adult care services, who would have substantial difficulties being involved in key decisions. 

When the council is making decisions about someones care and support, they must consider whether they would have ‘substantial difficulty’ being involved. Substantial difficulty would be if they have problems with one or more of these:

  • Understanding information about the decision
  • Remembering information
  • Using the information to be involved in the decision
  • Being able to tell people their views, wishes and feeling

If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, the council needs to consider whether they have an ‘appropriate individual’ to support them This is someone who the council agree will be available and able to support them. This cannot be a paid person

If the council decides that they would have substantial difficulty being involved and do not have an appropriate individual to support them, then they have the right to a Care Act advocate to help with the following:-

  • Needs Assessments
  • Support/ Care Planning
  • Reviews
  • Safeguarding Enquiries
  • Safeguarding reviews

Click here for more information on the Care Act advocate role 

Only certain professionals can request a Care Act advocate for a person, so referrals cannot come from individuals. 

Find out more.

For information please contact Advocacy 1st on telephone number 0203 948 0559