The local authority has a duty of care to assess your mother's needs — if that is a care home they will arrange a place for her. If you choose a different home that is more expensive, the local authority can ask the family to pay a 'top up' (see Age UK factsheet No.10).

Factsheet 10: Paying for permanent residential care