Thanks to the Coronavirus pandemic, we might all be stuck in the house for most of the time, but that's no reason for older people to give up on their regular exercise.
Keeping fit is an important part of healthy living, and regular exercise has been shown to increase your general health both physical and mental and, who knows it 'might', even help protect you from the Covid 19 bug.
So, as all of our Age UK activities for older people are currently suspended, we've searched the internet to find exercise regimes suitable for over sixties to do at home, by following the experts on specific web sites and the amazing You Tube. And it's all for FREE.
Here's the list we've gathered so far. Just click on each item and you'll be taken to the page on our website with more details, before we launch you off to You Tube or wherever:
Lockdown exercises for over 60s This is a very comprehensive series of mainly chair-based exercises in a form which you can print out and keep. We've even included a 'Road test' by our very own 'over 60'.
Learn Indian dance with Sadlers Wells This is your chance to take lessons in the gentle art of Indian dance. We'll tell you more about it on our page before linking you to the You Tube video.
Joe Wicks' Workouts for Seniors A series of free easy to follow exercises by the renowned 'Body Coach' specially tailored for over 60s. Just click the links on the page to view his YouTube videos.
Active at Home with Arthritis On this page you can find links to a series of chair based exercises for people with arthritis together with a link to an exercise and activity directory. All provided by Arthritis Action
Dance Fitness Live sessions online, FREE and suitable for all fitness levels. Held at 1pm every Thursday. The sessions are organised by Charly (Charlotte) at the Linskill Centre using the Zoom App. Please get in touch for the meeting link by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07561 778 827.
Tai Chi in lockdown. If you are missing your Tai Chi sessions or are interested in giving it a try, why not follow Dr Paul Lam's FREE online sessions on YouTube?
Exercise and Nutrition in Lockdown. How to ensure that you are getting the right balance of foods as well as exercise to keep you fit and healthy.
Keep coming back for more ideas
More on Coronavirus
- NHS 111 online - Check if you have coronavirus symptoms
- Gov.UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do
- Get support as an extremely vulnerable person
- Citizens Advice - Coronavirus - what it means for you
- Age UK North Tyneside Information and Advice
- Covid 19 - How to help safely (Gov.UK)
- Covid 19 Myth busters (World Health Organisation)
- Covid 19- Information for the bereaved from UK Government
- Gov.UK - Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do
- Gov.UK - Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do after 4 July
- Wellbeing and mental health during Covid-19