Practical and emotional support from specialist advisers
Coping with bereavement
When we experience the loss of someone we love or care about, the weight of grief can feel overwhelming.
Grief is very much an individual process, there is no set time limit and no right or wrong way to grieve. Each person responds differently to loss.
If you are struggling with the loss of a loved one, reaching out for support may help you to make sense of how you feel.
Our Bereavement Support service can provide assistance with:
• Practical advice and signposting
• Self-help information
• Emotional Support
• Counselling sessions via telephone, video call or face to face.
If you would like to know more about the support available, please get in touch with our Bereavement Officer on 01670 784 800 or send us an email to email@example.com.
Whilst grieving is very much an individual response to loss, you may experience some commonly reported emotions such as :-
- Numb or disconnected
People can also experience physical symptoms such as:-
- Sleep disturbance
- Changes in appetite
- Muscle tension
If you begin to feel concerned about the impact of any symptoms you have been experiencing you may find it helpful to speak to your GP.
Our bereavement officers will listen to your concerns without judgement. We can help you to make an informed decision about what kind of support you would like to receive.
You may want to try some of these self-help tips:
- Share how you feel with a friend or family member
- Try not to do everything at once, set small targets
- Allow yourself time to process your loss
- Engage in some gentle exercise
- limit alcohol intake
Practical support - we're here to help with...
- Things to consider when arranging a funeral.
- Financial planning and household management – everyday financial planning and signposting where appropriate to professional financial services.
- Finding required local services such as handy man / house clearance.
- Access eligible benefits
Is there a cost?
No, this is a charitable service offered to people over 50 living in Northumberland.
Where are we based?
Age UK Northumberland is based at The Round House, Lintonville Parkway, Ashington NE63 9JZ
If you would like to know more about the support available, please get in touch with our Bereavement Officer on 01670 784 800 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you.