Together with Age UKs across the country, we ran our ‘No one should have no one at Christmas’ campaign over the festive period, highlighting how loneliness affects older people in our community as well as across the UK. Through the support of local businesses and residents, we raised over £1,400.
In the UK, 1.2million older people are persistently lonely, with the same number coping with extended periods of loneliness, sometimes lasting for years. Locally, evidence suggests that up to 51% of older people in Tameside feel lonely some or all of the time. Loneliness can be the cause of a decline in physical and mental health; it erodes self-esteem and dignity. Two fifths all older people say the television is their main company.
Bernadette Ashcroft, Chief Officer for Age UK Tameside, says: ‘We were very pleased with the response we had to our campaign, including the support we received from local schools who came in to sing carols with our clients or who donated food parcels. We got a real sense that people across the community were keen to ensure older people in our community weren’t forgotten about at Christmas.’
We received donations in support of the campaign from Hyde Market, who together raised £1,068.12 for the campaign. Gibbs and Dandy, the new owners of the local building firm Benchmark Building Supplies, also donated £200 to the campaign.
‘We are very grateful for the donations we received from Hyde Market and Gibbs and Dandy, which will allow us to continue to promote the wellbeing of older people in Tameside, explains Bernadette. ‘Their contribution, along with donations from individuals individuals in the community during the campaign, will help change the lives of local people for the better all year round.’
If you would like to make a contribution to the campaign, donations are still being accepted. Here are some examples of what your valued contribution would allow us to do:
* £15 would pay for a fun, social keep fit session for an older person, reducing their risk of serious injury from a fall and increasing their opportunities have fun with others.
* £35 would allow Age UK Tameside to provide a lonely older person with transportation, company, entertainment, support and a hot meal on Christmas Day.
* £90 would allow Age UK Tameside to support a local older person for more than a month, to help them regain their independence after the loss of their spouse, a fall, a stay in hospital, or an illness.
If you are able to support our appeal, please do so using either of the following methods:
* Text AUKT01 followed by the amount you’d like to donate (i.e. £1, £5, £10) to 70070
* Send a cheque with your chosen amount to: Age UK Tameside Christmas Appeal, 131 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne OL6 7AW
* Make your donation online by clicking here
Thank you for your support!