Dementia is a broad category of brain diseases that cause a long-term and often gradual decrease in the ability to think and remember. Other common symptoms include emotional problems, difficulties with language, and a decrease in motivation.
It is important to understand that everyone's dementia diagnosis will be different. The changes and challenges will impact each person in their own unique way and those caring for people living with dementia will also be greatly affected.
Age UK Tameside offers a range of services to meet these different and changing needs, including support for carers. We work together with clients to find the best ways to support them.
What we offer:
We offer drop-in sessions for people who want to better understand dementia and the other services available in the borough and access general information and advice. We are at:
- Ashton Library, Tameside One, every 2nd and 4th Thursday afternoon, 1.30pm – 3.30pm
- The Grafton Centre, Grafton Street, Hyde, SK14 2AX, every 1st and 3rd Thursday afternoon, 1.30pm – 3.00pm.
If you care for someone living with dementia, our weekly Tuesday activity group would be a great time for you to spend together with others who are living with dementia and their carers. The group is held at our Ashton centre, 131 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7AW, from 1.30pm to 3.30pm. To attend, you will need to call on Monday between 10am and 2pm on 07908 809 582.
We also offer a course dedicated to carers – a way for them to come together to find that much-needed support and "me time". Alongside the course, we offer an activity for those living with dementia so people are able to attend together.
Carers Course comments:
- This group meeting has taught me so much. It has made me realise I’m not the only one trying to cope and, if you look, there is help
- Thank you for reminding me that I matter
- The course for carers was very interesting, informative and well planned
- I have learnt a lot and now feel as though I can begin to think about myself as a person again
- I have made some nice new friends
- The facilitator couldn’t have been any more helpful. I have really enjoyed the class and have leant so much with her help
- Excellent carers course with very positive results
- Great course – learnt such a lot about me.
If you are interested in any of the support we offer, contact Dawn Linnie on 0161 519 8190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Here's how you can get in touch with Age UK Tameside.
Our main office:
131 Katherine Street,
Phone number: 0161 308 5000