As a volunteer you could make a difference for older people in Blackburn with Darwen. We recruit on a vacancy basis and also offer student work experience and placement opportunities
Current volunteer vacancies
Befriending - could you volunteer to support someone isolated on either a short term basis to help them get back on their feet following a life transition or change or on a regular ongoing basis once a week
Darwen charity shop - versatile volunteers needed to help process stock and operate the till
Switchboard - Morning volunteers required to answer our busy head office switchboard
What do I do to become a volunteer?
It is very important to us that our volunteers enjoy their volunteering role and get back as much as they put in. In order to prepare you for your volunteering role we have a recruitment and training process in place.As many volunteering roles involve contact with vulnerable older people, 2 references and DBS checks are required, where applicable, as a legal requirement and necessary under our safeguarding practices. This can take up to 8 weeks to complete.
There is no upper age limit to volunteer but you do need to be aged 16 or over to apply. Some roles also require a minimum time commitment.
What you will get out of volunteering
- It's a great way to make a real difference to someone's life
- You'll be giving something back to your community
- You get to be part of Age UK Blackburn with Darwen's volunteer team
- Reimbursement for out of pocket travel expenses
- Volunteers tell us they find their roles really rewarding
What is expected of me?
- Attend informal interviews with the Service line manager
- Complete an application form and provide us with 2 references – these cannot be relatives
- Undertake DBS and driving license checks where appropriate for the role
- Undertake mandatory online training - support is given as needed
- Respect our organisational values and operating principles