As a volunteer you could make a difference for older people in Blackburn with Darwen. We recruit on a vacancy basis and also offer student work experience and placement opportunities
Current volunteer vacancies
Thank you for your interest in volunteering, we are currently recruiting for the following roles
- IT Tutors, do you have people skills needed to help older people get online, you do not need to have advanced IT skills for this role
- Shop Volunteers for our charity shop in Darwen - volunteers are needed to help with customer service and process goods for sale - we are particularly looking for Saturday Volunteers
- Advice and Information Service - do you have a customer service background, the ability to complete forms accurately and impartially both on paper and online and are non judgemental. We are looking for volunteers to assist in our Darwen Town Hall Office and also to visit people in their own homes as part of our free Advice and Information Service
- Befriending - we need volunteers to support older people with telephone calls and visits and to assist them get out and about
- Nailcare - Do you have previous healthcare or beauty experience, could you support our Nailcare service as a Nail cutter ( full training given ) or by helping with the administration of the clinics ?
- Netball Leader - If you enjoy netball this could be the role for you, supporting walking netball sessions. Volunteers will need to attend formal training to become a leader
- Kitchen Assistant - Do you enjoy cooking ? Could you support our day centre team in preparing fresh meals and snacks for our service users. You will be asked to undertake mandatory food hygiene training for this role
What do I do to become a volunteer?
It is very important to us that our volunteers enjoy their volunteering role and get back as much as they put in. In order to prepare you for your volunteering role we have a recruitment and online training process in place.As many volunteering roles involve contact with vulnerable older people, 2 references and DBS checks are required, where applicable, as a legal requirement and necessary under our safeguarding practices. This can take up to 8 weeks to complete.
There is no upper age limit to volunteer but you do need to be aged 16 or over to apply. Some roles also require a minimum time commitment.
What you will get out of volunteering
- It's a great way to make a real difference to someone's life
- You'll be giving something back to your community
- You get to be part of Age UK Blackburn with Darwen's volunteer team
- Reimbursement for out of pocket travel expenses
- Volunteers tell us they find their roles really rewarding
- It looks good to potential employers
What is expected of me?
- Attend informal interviews with the Service line manager
- Complete an application form and provide us with 2 references – these cannot be relatives
- Undertake DBS and driving license checks where appropriate for the role
- Undertake mandatory online training before starting volunteering- support is given as needed
- Respect our organisational values and operating principles
Apply to volunteer
If a role above appeals to you, please click the Apply button to begin the application process to volunteer with us