Welfare Benefits Home Visiting Volunteer
Many older people struggle financially because they do not maximise their incomes by claiming the welfare benefits to which they are entitled. At Age UK Buckinghamshire we help older people to claim their welfare rights by sending trained volunteer advisors to their homes to establish entitlements and to help them through the process of claiming, filling in the forms on their behalf.
We are especially looking for volunteers in: Gerrards Cross, Iver, Denham, Stoke Poges, Burnham, Farnham Common, High Wycombe and Amersham.
What skills does a Welfare Benefits Advisor need?
A welfare rights’ advisor needs:
- Empathy with older people
- A professional approach to the client
- A friendly, approachable manner
- Attention to detail
- Good record-keeping skills
- A non-judgemental approach
- Willingness to learn about older people’s benefits
If you feel you have, or could develop with training and support, the above skills we would welcome your application. If you feel unsure and would like to ask any questions, then please call us on 01296 431911 and ask for the Welfare Benefits team.
What training do we provide?
Successful applicants would need to undergo a series of training sessions regarding the needs of older people and welfare benefits. These sessions can be arranged on days mutually suitable for the trainees. At the end of the initial training, you will be “buddied” with one or more experienced volunteers, first as an observer and later as an advisor until you have the knowledge and confidence to undertake one-to-one visits.
How much time do we expect you to give?
Once trained, you can commit to as many or as few visits per week as you wish. Each visit takes, on average, about 2 – 3 hours. There are quarterly meetings, which it is helpful for all benefits’ advisors to attend for support and additional training days from time to time to keep up with new legislation.
What is our commitment to you?
- We will provide initial and ongoing training.
- We will continue to support you in your role, providing information and advice as necessary.
- We will provide additional training to help you develop your knowledge and skills.
- We will discuss with you any problems you may have with your role.
- We will discuss with you any concerns we may have about the way you carry out your role.
- We will reimburse reasonable, approved out of pocket expenses.
- We will promote the Service in a professional manner, so that you can be proud of your role as a welfare rights’ advisor for Age UK Buckinghamshire.
What is the next step?
Complete and return the volunteer application form with the names of 2 referees, to Age UK Buckinghamshire. Application forms will then be used to select suitable applicants to interview.
How to apply/get more details:
Telephone: 01296 431911 and ask for the Welfare Benefits Team
Welfare Benefits volunteer application
Age UK Buckinghamshire
For more information on voluntary roles
Email - email@example.com
Phone - 01296 431 911
Apply- word format
Volunteers Application form. Nov 2020.docx
Pdf format (right click save as to your computer)
Volunteers Application form. Nov 2020.pdf