What is lasting power of attorney?
Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal tool that gives another adult the legal authority to make certain decisions for you if you become unable to make them yourself. You can read more about LPAs on Age UK’s website.
How much does it cost
The fee to register an LPA is £82 per application but it’s free for people on means tested benefits and there is a 50 per cent discount for people who earn under £12,000 a year.
How Age UK Camden can help
If you want to set up an LPA we can help explain the process, timescales and provide guidance on fees. We can also help you complete the application if you would be unable to afford a solicitor to do this for you and you meet our criteria.
What are the criteria?
- you receive a means-tested benefit
- you earn less than £12,000 a year.
- the request has come from you (the donor) and you want to take out an LPA
- we’re confident you understand the nature and effect of an LPA
- you aren’t under pressure from family or others to complete an LPA
- there are no significant sums of money involved
- all of the family are in agreement.
We will be unable to help if:
- there are family disputes about the donors wishes or friction among your family
- you are being coerced into creating an LPA
- there are complex conditions associated with the LPA
- significant sums of money are involved (in this case it is best to seek solicitor support)
- you don’t have mental capacity and need to apply to the Court of Protection
- you don’t have anyone to act as an attorney (you will need a solicitor)
Please note: we are unable to advise on any financial matters or personal issues.
If you need advice about planning for the future, please call 020 7837 3777.