Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them. Read Our Cookie Policy
Skip to content

If you or someone you know is undergoing an adult social care process and is finding it substantially difficult to understand the process or communicate their wishes, they may benefit from the help of an independent advocate.

People having a discussion

We provide an independent care act advocacy service in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland for those who have no other appropriate individual to help them. Our advocacy service extends to younger people.

What is the Independent Care Act Advocacy service?

The service ensures that Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Local Authorities comply with their duties under the 2014 Care Act to offer access to independent Advocacy to anyone involved in adult social care processes who is struggling to understand or retain information or to communicate their views and wishes. The independent advocate will facilitate their involvement in their assessments, the preparation and review of their care and support plans and will support throughout safeguarding adult enquiries and reviews.

What does an advocate do?

An advocate will offer you a free, independent service to help you access and understand information, giving you time and space to consider your options. They will defend and promote your rights and responsibilities and respect your decisions.

An advocate will not make choices for you, give you legal advice, provide a personal assistant service or emergency support.

Who can benefit from this service?

You need to live in Leicester, Leicestershire or Rutland and must be an adult, a young person going through transition, a care leaver, a carer, young carer or a prisoner currently in detention.

Where is this service available?

We are contracted to provide this service in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.

Do I have to pay for an advocate?

No. It is a legal duty of the local authority to provide this service and they fund our provision of advocacy to you.

How do I ask for advocacy support?

Most of the people we support will be referred to us by Adult Social Care. However, if you or someone you know is undergoing a social care process and has not already been referred, you can contact us direct to ask for our help.

Please phone us on 0116 204 5110, email

or write to us at,

Independent Care Act Advocacy Service,
Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland,
113 Princess Road East,

Further Information

Our Care Act Advocacy Service leaflet provides more information on this service.