Make a difference, join our team of amazing volunteers!
Volunteers offer a vital and valuable contribution to the charity and the older people we support. Simply, the charity could not function without the dedication and commitment of our 700+ volunteers and we are extremely grateful for their time and support.
The benefits of volunteering
- Using your life experiences, skills, talents and abilities to help others
- Making a real and positive difference to the lives of others
- Making friends and socialising in your community
- Giving you new experiences and opportunities to meet people outside of your social network
- Free training and ongoing support
- Learning new skills and broadening your experiences
- Helping to increase your confidence and future employment prospects
Who can volunteer?
Our volunteer roles are undertaken by people from all walks of life, of all ages and with a variety of skills and experience.
Volunteers are key to the running of many of our services and shops. We offer over 20 different volunteering opportunities including administration, charity shops, marketing, fundraising, catering and much more. We also have a Board of Trustees who work as volunteers to govern our organisation.
How much time do I need to give?
Volunteers offer the amount of time that suits them, which could range from a few hours a week to a few days a week. Alternatively you can join our volunteer register to help with ad-hoc and seasonal tasks such as supermarket bag packs and collections, Christmas dinners and summer fetes.
We asked a volunteer, what would you say to someone who was thinking about volunteering?
"Go for it! It really does make a difference and now I look forward to getting up in the morning with a purpose. Don't be shy, you may really enjoy it!"
Sue, Day Club Volunteer
What you can expect from us
We want to make sure that you enjoy your role and get the most out of it. We have a dedicated Volunteering Co-ordinator who can help you to choose the best volunteering role for you and your availability.
As part of commitment to you, we will:
- Ensure you have a clear understanding of your role and responsibilities
- Provide you with information and support to help you learn and carry out your role
- Offer induction training and ongoing support
- Offer fair, honest and timely feedback on your voluntary work
- Treat you with respect, consideration and appreciation
- Acknowledge the valued difference your contribution makes
Work experience and student placements
We work closely with a number of local universities, colleges and apprenticeship schemes to provide relevant opportunities to younger people and those in education or looking for work. For more information, please get in touch with our Volunteering Co-ordinator.
Meet our volunteers! Get to know some of the volunteers that give up their time to support us:
Simon has been a huge help assisting the Volunteering department with a variety of admin related tasks and brings with him a wealth of experience and transferable skills. Once an employee of the charity, Simon turned to volunteering when he was made redundant and couldn’t imagine leaving or doing anything else with his spare time. Simon is a valued team member, and truly enjoys contributing towards the charitable cause.
Meet our committed and caring volunteer Chloe who started volunteering to give something back to the local community. Chloe spends her time befriending two lovely ladies via the telephone and face to face and has helped tackle isolation and loneliness.
Dedicated mum of two Sarah-Jane, enjoys volunteering at our Musgrove day centre in Leicester, assisting older people who attend with a range of activities. Sarah-Jane has benefitted and thrived by being empathic, a great listener, and has realised just how rewarding volunteering can be.
You may also be interested in...
Want to give back to your community and help us raise vital funds for the local community? There are plenty of ways you can get involved and make a difference.