Older veterans of our armed forces often need tailored support to help their independent living.
Our Joining Forces project offers support to aged veterans born before 1950. It provides a range of services which reflect and respond to their individual needs. Length of service in the Armed Forces is irrelevant — anyone who has ever served for their country can be supported through this project.
How can the Joining Forces project help me?
The project offers a range of support which is not time limited and will make sure you know who to go to if you need more support in the future
- Advice, information and one-to-one help with problem solving, completing paperwork, signposting to other support opportunities and a listening ear if you have no family network.
- Our Independent Living Co ordinators can work alongside you, devoting the time needed to resolve any issues you are facing, including those which are complex and multi-faceted.
- Assistance in the community, such as escorting you to medical appointments.
- Befriending home visits
- Veterans Cafés where you can meet up with other veterans for a chat or to reminisce
- Outings to military and non-military places of interest including attendance to military remembrance events
Where is the Joining Forces project available?
We can support veterans who live in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
Does the project offer free support to veterans?
Yes. Our Joining Forces project has been established through the Aged Veterans Fund which is funded by the Chancellor using LIBOR funds. There is no charge for the aged veterans to access our support.
How do I arrange for help?
Please get in touch with either Michaela Forty or Jill Bindley,
0116 2614 606
Working Hours Mon – Thurs 9am – 5pm
0116 2614 605
Working Hours Mon – Weds 8.30am – 4.30pm
If they are out making visits to veterans you can leave a message for them. You can also call our Information and Advice Helpline on 0116 299 2278. It is manned between 11am and 4pm but does take a high volume of calls. If no one can take your call, please leave a voicemail for either Michaela or Jill and they will return your call.