At Age UK London we recognise our duties under current health and safety legislation and we will endeavour to meet the requirements of this legislation and maintain a safe and healthy working environment. Our Managers and Supervisors are informed of their responsibilities to ensure they take all reasonable precautions, to ensure the safety, health and welfare of those that are likely to be affected by the operation of our business.
Age UK London recognises its duty to make regular assessment of the hazards and risks created in the course of our business.We also recognise our duty, so far as is reasonably practicable:
- to meet our legal obligations to maintain safe and healthy working conditions;
- to provide adequate control of the health and safety risks so identified;
- to consult with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety;
- to provide and maintain safe plant and equipment;
- to ensure the safe handling and use of substances;
- to provide information, instruction, training where necessary for our workforce, taking account of any who do not have English as a first language;
- to ensure that all workers are competent to do their work, and to give them appropriate training;
- to prevent accidents and cases of work related ill health;
- to actively manage and supervise health and safety at work;
- to have access to competent advice;
- to seek continuous improvement in our health and safety performance and management through regular (at least annual) review and revision of this policy; and
- to provide the resource required to make this policy and our Health and Safety arrangements effective.
We also recognise:
- our duty to co-operate and work with other employers when we work at premises or sites under their control to ensure the continued health and safety of all those at work; and
- our duty to co-operate and work with other employers and their workers, when their workers come onto our premises or sites to do work for us, to ensure the health and safety of everyone at work.
To help achieve our objectives and ensure our employees recognise their duties under health and safety legislation whilst at work, we will also inform them of their duty to take reasonable care for themselves and for others who might be affected by their activities. We achieve this by explaining their duty and setting out our company health and safety rules in an Employee Safety Handbook which is made available to every worker employed by us.
In support of this policy a responsibility chart and more detailed arrangements have been prepared.
The policy is reviewed on a periodic basis.