As a befriender you could provide company for a lonely older person in Westminster.
A befriending volunteer will be relieving the isolation of lonely or housebound older people by visiting them weekly at their home. They might have a cup of tea and a chat, or go out for a walk. Volunteers may occasionally be asked to undertake other activities such as wheelchair pushing or escorting the client to the shops.
Befrienders are always in high demand. Our service users and volunteers enjoy it immensely and most of the friendships formed through our befriending service last for years.
Skills, experiences and qualities required:
- Listening skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- Good spoken English is essential
- Knowledge of other languages is desired
A DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check is required for this role. This takes approximately two weeks and it’s free for volunteers.
What we offer:
- The chance to make a real contribution to Age Concern Westminster’s work to The chance to make a real contribution to Age UK Westminster's work.
- The opportunity to be involved with projects where your own ideas and input will be valued.
- The chance to make a real contribution to Age Concern Westminster’s work.
- Professional references.
How to apply
To apply for this position please download and complete the application form below then send your completed application pack to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a printed copy to the address below.
Send completed applications to:
Age UK Westminster
Volunteer application pack
We appreciate your interest in volunteering with Age UK Westminster and have provided a copy of our application form for you to download.