You will be providing information and advice to older people (55+), their carers, friends and relatives, as well as other relevant agencies.
The information and advice you will be giving covers many areas including: welfare benefits, housing, community care and local services. All advice provided is free of charge, independent and confidential. It is important to be impartial, non-judgmental and able to empathise with the client’s situation. The client’s confidentiality must be respected at all times.
You will be giving a minimum of two hours per week.
Your duties will include:
- Interviewing clients
- Researching individual cases, assessing problems and identifying possible courses of action
- Guiding clients to decide on the best course of action based on the information available, including referring clients to other sources of help
- Mediating on a client’s behalf, for example, by writing letters or making phone calls
- Update knowledge on enquiry areas and relevant legislation
- Keeping accurate and timely case records
Skills, experiences and qualities required:
- Information and advice: some background in information and advice would be beneficial but not necessary, as training would be provided.
- Good communication / customer skills: being able to deal with members of the public and professionals in a courteous and professional manner. Good verbal and written skills. The ability to digest complex information and communicate it to others in a manner which is easy to understand.
- Team work: ability to work as part of a small and friendly team as well as on your own initiative when needed.
- Computer skills: should have at least basic computer skills, including: ability to use internet for research, Word, basic Excel and e-mail. Training will be provided in use of our database for case recording.
As an Information and Advice Volunteer you will be part of the team delivering the flagship program of Age UKn Westminster. You will be making a real contribution to the welfare of older residents of the City of Westminster.
What we offer:
- The chance to be part of a lively team who will facilitate your development with support and on-going training.
- The opportunity to be involved with projects where your own ideas and input will be valued.
- The chance to make a real contribution to Age UK Westminster’s work.
- Professional references
- Travel & lunch expenses covered
How to apply
To apply for this position please download and complete the application form below then send your completed application pack to email@example.com or send a printed copy to the address below.
Send completed applications to:
Age UK Westminster
Volunteer application pack
We appreciate your interest in volunteering with Age UK Westminster and have provided a copy of our application form for you to download.