Support is in the form of regular contact from a fully trained volunteer whose aim is to share their time, friendship and help. Contact is usually once a week either by a visit to your home or a telephone call.
A volunteer can offer:
- Conversation - listening and talking.
- Sharing reminiscence - looking at photos.
- Play board & card games, share crosswords & puzzles.
- Read post, help with correspondence and make phone calls.
- Provide a link to other services and support
A volunteer cannot:
Do housework, shopping or gardening, deal with money or bills or provide any personal care.
What to expect from us:
- A weekly home visit, or telephone call.
- Volunteers who are carefully screened.
- The same volunteer to visit you.
- Personal information to be kept in confidence.
- To be respected and valued as an individual.
- Contact with a named Age UK employee regarding the Sharing Time service.
What we expect from you:
- Notify us of any changes to your circumstances and if you can’t keep arrangements made with your volunteer
- Let us have your comments on the service.
- Provide a smoke free environment during visits.
- Refrain from offering money and gifts exceeding £10.00 per year to the volunteer.
For more information please call Sharing Time Service on 01354 691 898 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please call our helpline 0300 666 9860 between 9am-3pm Monday to Friday, calls made outside these hours will be transferred to our Age UK National Helpline.
For more information on Sharing Time Service and all other services please download our leaflet.