Age UK Cambridgeshire & Peterborough relies on volunteers to help us offer vital services in the local community. Would you like to lend a hand?
Contact us on - 01733 554963 for Peterborough area or
01354 691898 for all other Cambridgeshire areas
Welcome to Age UK CAP (Cambridgeshire and Peterborough) Volunteering opportunities
At Age UK CAP we rely on over 550 volunteers to help people in a variety of ways. Volunteer support and assistance enables us to reach a wider number of older individuals. Volunteers themselves tell us of the personal satisfaction they get contributing to their local communities and the training and support they receive.
"I feel like I make a real difference. I've been visiting for 5 years and I find it greatly rewarding to build a relationship with someone who can be very lonely and looks forward to a visit." Sharing Time Volunteer
"It's good to be part of something that helps other people and it's fun!" Day Club Volunteer
"I have benefitted from volunteering as much as any of those I've telephoned. I look forward to coming to the office to make the calls, chat and see all the staff." Telephone Contact Volunteer
"I feel reassured and supported by [the team] and look forward to meeting the other volunteers at information and social events." Sharing Time Volunteer
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills, and support the work we do in the community. There are many reasons that people give for volunteering. For some, volunteering can be a route to employment, or a chance to try something new which may lead to a career change. From this perspective, volunteering can be a way of:
Gaining new skillsKnowledge and experience
Developing existing skills and knowledgeEnhancing a CV
Improving one's employment prospectsGaining an accreditationUsing one's professional skills and knowledge to benefit others (usually described as pro bono)For others, volunteering appeals because of its social benefits. These include:Meeting new people
Making new friends A chance to socialise
Getting to know the local community
On top of this, many people volunteer for a variety of other reasons, such as:
Giving something back to an organisation that has impacted on a person's life, either directly or indirectly
A desire to make a difference to the lives of others
Good karmaHelping others less fortunate or without a voice
Feeling part of a team
Having quality time away from work or a busy lifestyle
Building up trust
Gaining confidence and self-esteem
Who can volunteer?
Almost anyone can be a volunteer. We have a wide range of roles which suit different people and different skills, for all ages. Our volunteers have ranged in age from 8 years (doing knitting to raise funds) to 94 years (telephone contact caller).
How much time do I need to give?
It depends on the volunteer role you are interested in. Some people give an hour a week, other people do more. Some roles require a regular weekly commitment, others are as and when needed (e.g. helping at events).
Whether you can offer an hour or more, we will have a role to suit you. Take a look at some of our opportunities below. If you have another skill or interest you think could be useful to us, please do get in touch. We are open to new possibilities and opportunities if you feel you can help us to achieve our aim of providing support and companionship for local older people.Our vision is to make Cambridgeshire and Peterborough a great place to grow older, by inspiring, supporting and enabling.
- Carers Hub volunteers - to support family carers and the people that care for them in group activities and chat.
- Community Support worker – to support any of our services as required by assisting in general duties.
- Communications and Campaigns volunteers. Help with campaigns, fundraising and various communication initiative’s as specified below:
- Article Writer, Assistant Editor, Proof Reader Support – help to produce content for internal staff and volunteer newsletter and develop an external newsletter
- Big Knit Campaign Ambassador – to promote the Campaign and fundraise
- Campaigns Promotions and Marketing Assistant – to provide admin support and attend stands.
- Graphic Design Publications Assistant – support to produce publications, such as leaflets
- Video Photographer and Short Film Maker – to create short video clips for social media, promoting our services and activities
- Day Club Volunteer in Cambridgeshire - Supporting and assisting in activities and to help in making members feel welcome
- Friendship Club volunteers in Peterborough – General volunteers to support and assist in activities and to help in making members feel welcome, Club Leader volunteer and Treasure roles.
- Handyperson Admin volunteer – to assist with admin support to the team.
- Home Service volunteer – to provide admin support to the Home Service Organiser
- Home Visiting Sharing Time volunteer – offering an hour a week to visit someone who is lonely or isolated by offering time, friendship and support.
- Hospital Link volunteer – to raise awareness of our services throughout Addenbrookes and Hinchingbrooke for the benefit of older people.
- Information and Advice volunteer - to provide admin support to the team.
- Lifechangers volunteer – to provide admin support to the Lifechangers Advisor.
- Liaison volunteer – assist with phone calls and general admin
- Telephone Contact volunteer – to ease social isolation by calling a client each week.
- Visiting Support for Older People - Hub Information Drop-in, providing support
- Volunteer Gardener – to maintain a small courtyard garden at the Cherry Trees Day Club in Cambridge.
- Warden Service volunteer – to support the Scheme warden in spending quality time with clients and to carry out various tasks i.e shopping.
If you would like to find out further information about joining our team of volunteers in any of these opportunities, then please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone for an informal chat on 01354 691898. Fill out the application form now and email it to us:
Community Support Worker
Cherry Trees Gardener
Home Visitor Sharing Time
Hospital Link IA
Information and Advice
Communications and Campaigns
Help with campaigns, fundraising and various communiction initiatives - Volunteering Opportunities