Welcome to Age UK CAP (Cambridgeshire and Peterborough) Volunteering opportunities
At Age UK CAP we rely on over 550 volunteers to help people in a variety of ways. Volunteer support and assistance enables us to reach a wider number of older individuals. Volunteers themselves tell us of the personal satisfaction they get contributing to their local communities and the training and support they receive.
"I feel like I make a real difference. I've been visiting for 5 years and I find it greatly rewarding to build a relationship with someone who can be very lonely and looks forward to a visit." Sharing Time Volunteer
"It's good to be part of something that helps other people and it's fun!" Day Club Volunteer
"I have benefitted from volunteering as much as any of those I've telephoned. I look forward to coming to the office to make the calls, chat and see all the staff." Telephone Contact Volunteer
"I feel reassured and supported by [the team] and look forward to meeting the other volunteers at information and social events." Sharing Time Volunteer
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills, and support the work we do in the community. There are many reasons that people give for volunteering. For some, volunteering can be a route to employment, or a chance to try something new which may lead to a career change. From this perspective, volunteering can be a way of:
Gaining new skillsKnowledge and experience
Developing existing skills and knowledgeEnhancing a CV
Improving one's employment prospectsGaining an accreditationUsing one's professional skills and knowledge to benefit others (usually described as pro bono)For others, volunteering appeals because of its social benefits. These include:Meeting new people
Making new friends A chance to socialise
Getting to know the local community
On top of this, many people volunteer for a variety of other reasons, such as:
Giving something back to an organisation that has impacted on a person's life, either directly or indirectly
A desire to make a difference to the lives of others
Good karmaHelping others less fortunate or without a voice
Feeling part of a team
Having quality time away from work or a busy lifestyle
Building up trust
Gaining confidence and self-esteem
Who can volunteer?
Almost anyone can be a volunteer. We have a wide range of roles which suit different people and different skills, for all ages. Our volunteers have ranged in age from 8 years (doing knitting to raise funds) to 94 years (telephone contact caller).
How much time do I need to give?
It depends on the volunteer role you are interested in. Some people give an hour a week, other people do more. Some roles require a regular weekly commitment, others are as and when needed (e.g. helping at events).
The majority of our volunteers are within our Sharing Time Service. We are proud to support almost 500 visits per week between volunteers and older people. This is only possible because of the dedication of volunteers and thier enthusiasm to help us to reduce loneliness and social isolation. Read more about this HERE: Sharing Time Volunteering
Whether you can offer an hour or more, we will have a role to suit you. Take a look at some of our opportunities below. If you have another skill or interest you think could be useful to us, please do get in touch. We are open to new possibilities and opportunities if you feel you can help us to achieve our aim of providing support and companionship for local older people.Our vision is to make Cambridgeshire and Peterborough a great place to grow older, by inspiring, supporting and enabling.
- Big Knit Campaign Ambassador – to promote the Campaign and fundraise
- Video Photographer and Short Film Maker – to create short video clips for social media, promoting our services and activities
- Day Club Volunteer in Cambridgeshire - Supporting and assisting in activities and to help in making members feel welcome
- Friendship Club Volunteers in Peterborough & Cambridgeshire – offers volunteering opportunities taliored to the hours you can spare. tasks range form helping to set up and clear away, serving tea and coffee, chatting with members and helping with activites We aso have roles of Club leadership, treasurer, secretary abd cook.
- Home Visiting Sharing Time volunteer – offering an hour a week to visit someone who is lonely or isolated by offering time, friendship and support.
- Information and Advice volunteer - to provide admin support to the team.
- Telephone Contact volunteer – to ease social isolation by calling a client each week.
- Visiting Support for Older People - Hub Information Drop-in helping Hub Co-ordinators across the area.
- Social/Pratical Help for Older People volunteer - Helping older people who cannot read and write, visiting once a month, helping to read mail and other documents.
- Community & Warden Service volunteer – to support the Scheme warden in spending quality time with clients and to carry out various tasks i.e shopping.
- Homes Volunteer - to carry out phone calls for reviewing the service and data input
- Home Checks - Provide administration support and to carry out satisfaction surveys
If you would like to find out further information about joining our team of volunteers in any of these opportunities, then please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone for an informal chat on 01354 691898. Fill out the application form now and email it to us:
VOLUNTEER SHOPPERS NEEDED - update 17th August 2020
We are in need of more volunteer shoppers, particularly in Peterborough. As the government closes the shielding list, ceasing the delivery of food parcels and as people return to work (reducing community and family support), the need for delivering essential shopping to older people is increasing. Contact us by email: email@example.com
Click on the Role Description link for more information. Please help to support an older person.
Volunteer Shoppers Needed
Support an older person by doing their shopping
Community Support Worker
Cherry Trees Gardener
Home Visitor Sharing Time
Hospital Link IA
Information and Advice
Communications and Campaigns
Help with campaigns, fundraising and various communiction initiatives - Volunteering Opportunities