Windrush Day Celebration
Published on 01 July 2022 07:14 AM
More than fifty Islington residents took part in our Windrush Day Celebration. Islington residents joined a special edition of our weekly reminiscence session (usually at Cally Clock Tower Centre) that took place under a shaded area of Cally Park. People shared memories and fascinating personal experiences either or their own or of their families. We continued with a Caribbean inspired picnic where the conversation continued. It was a wonderful day!This was the first in a series of events linked to Windrush organised by Age UK Islington and Islington Council, following a successful group application for national funding (Government’s 2022 Windrush Day Grant Scheme) for a Windrush community project together with Islington Council, Prospex, People's Company and Art in the Park.
- Picnic to mark Carers Week and promote Windrush Day picnic (11 June)
- Picnic to mark Windrush Day (22 June)
- Gathering of stories by Prospex, interviews and editing (July- Aug 2022)
- Use of stories in creating drama monologues (July – Sept 2022)
- Art sessions inspired by stories (July – September 2022)
- Drama performance in amphitheatre (September 2022)
- Making resource packs for local schools (October 2022)
Find a Get Together
Find a Get Together that's right for you!