Age UK Solihull has been commissioned by the Birmingham and Solihull Clinical Commissioning Group to provide Postural Stability Exercise Instruction for people aged 65 and over who have had a history of falls in the previous 12 months.
Telephone: 0121 704 7845
Waiting list open
Our PSI waiting list is now open! If you or someone you know is over 65, has a history of falls in the last 12 months, is registered with a Solihull GP, and would like to complete the PSI programme, please contact your GP or a health professional for a referral, or call us on 0121 704 7845.
What is Postural Stability?
Postural Stability Instruction (PSI) is the only evidence based exercise that provides proven outcomes for frequent or recurrent fallers.
If you have fallen in the past 12 months you are not alone. Every year 35% of over 65's experience one or more falls and 45% of people aged over 80 who live in the community will fall each year. Following a fall, less than 50% of over 65's will regain their former level of independence.
The Postural Stability Exercise Service will not only support you to improve muscle strength, balance and confidence it will also support you to access wider health and wellbeing services, enabling you to gain the greatest benefits from the programme. However, there are certain expectations of you and you must not only commit to 20 one hour classes but also commit to an individually tailored exercise programme which you will undertake at home for a minimum of 6 months.
Benefits of the Service
The programme should help participants:
- Understand the wider benefits of exercise
- Be motivated to build the level of exercise gradually
- Maintain independence
- Undertake appropriate exercise during the programme
- Have a reduced fear of falling
- Get up off the floor if a fall occurs
- Have increased confidence
- Meet others
- Access appropriate exercise after the programme ends
Access to the Service
- Referrals to the service will come through health professionals such as Community Intermediate Care Service, a physiotherapist or your GP
- If you want to refer yourself into the service you must contact your GP
- Participants must be 65 and older with a history of falls in the last 12 months
- Participants must be a resident of Solihull and registered with a Solihull GP
All Postural Stability Instructors will have undertaken accredited PSI training and be registered with the Registerof Exercise Professionals, have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check, an appropriate First Aid Certifcate, Indemnity Insurance and Safeguarding Adults Training.
Class times and Location
All classes take place at:
Renewal Family Centre
2 Vulcan Road
10:00am to 11:00am and 11:15am to 12:15pm
1:30pm to 2:30pm
10:00am to 11:00am and 11:30am to 12:30pm
Virtual Gentle Exercise Classes
During lockdowns and covid restrictions, we had to suspend our face-to-face classes. We are delighted that classes restarted in person in August 2021, but it is still important for everyone, particularly older people who are at risk of falls, to keep exercising at home.
Here are some videos that our PSI Instructor, Sharon, put together so you can take part in some gentle exercise classes from home. All you need for most of them is a chair with a bit of space around it. Click below to view the classes.
1. Start with a warm up
2. Then pick one (try to do a different one each time you exercise)
Strength You will need two objects like tinned beans or bottles of water for these exercises
Balance This can be done without doing the warm up first for a shorter workout
Music Some exercises with added music to get you moving
Bands Exercises using your resistance bands