Providing information is one of the most important things that we do.
Whether you want to find information for yourself, a family member or someone you know, we’re here to help.
We provide free assistance with welfare benefits, social care, homelessness and housing problems, debt issues, and financial issues associated with approaching retirement via our drop-in sessions, office-based appointments, email enquiries, telephone consultations, and home-based appointments for people who are housebound.
We also provide help with consumer issues and general legal information by supporting people to access the right legal assistance.
Our drop-in sessions are available every Tuesday and Wednesday from 1.30 – 4.00 at our Ashton centre, 131 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7AW. Specialist support for people who speak Urdu, Punjabi and Spanish is available at the Wednesday sessions.
We also have specialist outreach drop-in sessions from 10.00am to 3.30pm every Friday at Diversity Matters North West, 20 Great Norbury Street, Hyde, SK14 1BR. These are for people who speak Urdu, Bangla, Punjabi and Spanish.
The telephone number for Information and Advice enquiries is 0161 308 5000.
We are pleased to provide access to representatives from Garratts Solicitors and Touch Solicitors, who provide a range of legal services and clinics based at our centre at 131 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7AW.
Wills Service - Garratts Solicitors
Garratts Solicitors operate a fortnightly will-writing and will-signing service on Thursdays, 2pm - 5pm. It is provided at a reduced rate and costs £84 inc. VAT for a single will and £126 for wills completed for married couples, cohabiting couples and those in civil partnerships.
Age UK Tameside receives a fixed donation for hosting and fixing appointments, which is 10% of the cost, and this helps us cover the cost of providing office facilities.
Make a Will Monday - Touch Solicitors
Make A Will Monday is a scheme offered by Age UK Tameside in partnership with Touch Solicitors. This will-writing service is offered to customers approximately twice a month on Mondays, 9.30am - 11.30am, and is open to everyone residing in Tameside, regardless of age.
Free Legal Advice Clinics - Touch Solicitors
We also offer access to legal clinics, run by Trusha Velji of Touch Solicitors. They run approximately twice a month on Wednesdays, 9.30am - 11.30am. Trusha can advise on the following areas:
- Wills including Will Trusts
- Probate and Estate Administration including obtaining a grant of Probate/Letters of Administration (Intestacy)
- Lasting Powers of Attorney & Enduring Powers of Attorney including registration
- Court of Protection applications
- Care home issues including funding, assessments, disputes with Social Services / NHS /Care Home
- Disabled Persons Trusts as well as discretionary, Life Interest, and Personal Injury Trusts
- Contested Probate and disputed Wills
- Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975
- Future planning, either for mitigating liability to inheritance tax or towards care home fees
In all cases, if you instruct the solicitors firm of your choice they will act entirely on your behalf independently and observe strict confidentiality at all times. We will not be privy to any information regarding your instructions and the work that they complete for you. Once you have instructed a solicitor, any queries regarding the work they are completing for you should be addressed to them directly.
Where: Age UK Tameside, 131 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7AW
To book an appointment: Call 0161 308 5000 or email email@example.com
We are proud to have achieved the Age UK Information & Advice Quality Assured Marque
The I&A Quality Programme has two main sets of
benchmarks, which state that a service must show that it:
- Provides consistent, relevant and effective advice to clients and demonstrates this by providing sufficient information in their client records.
- Has clear and relevant systems and procedures in place to manage the delivery of consistent, good quality information and advice.
- Monitors its services and seeks feedback from clients and stakeholders.
Free booklets and online information
Here's how you can get in touch with Age UK Tameside.
Our main office:
131 Katherine Street,
Phone number: 0161 308 5000